Nissan Micra review - Practicality, comfort and boot space
The Micra features a practical boot, designed for the most common uses
The Nissan Micra is a five-door, with the rear door handles hidden up in the window frame near the C-pillars. In essence, the Mk5 car had to replace the previous generation and the Note small MPV, too, and Nissan has worked hard to make sure the Micra is as practical as possible. It listened to feedback from customers and incorporated new key features that improve its usability.
For example, the 10-litre glovebox was designed to fit a two-litre drinks bottle, and you can get 1.5-litre bottles in the front door bins. There’s also storage in the centre console ahead of the gearstick, both for phones and larger objects.
At 3.99m long, 1.74m wide and 1.45m high, the Micra is a totally different shape to before – it’s longer and wider, but lower than the previous car, with dimensions comparable to a VW Polo.
Leg room, head room & passenger space
Since it’s bigger than before, the Micra offers more space inside for passengers. There’s more head and legroom, and while the back seats aren’t particularly spacious, there’s a decent amount of room for most people. The low ceiling means headroom isn’t a strong point, though.
The 300-litre boot is one of the bigger spaces in the supermini class, but the Honda Jazz and Kia Rio both have bigger load areas. The Micra’s boot has also been designed to accommodate the most common items, such as large suitcases, more comfortably than rival cars'.
In this review
- 1VerdictNew turbocharged engines give the stylish and safety-conscious Micra a much needed boost
- 2Engines, performance and driveLatest Micra is better to drive than ever, although it’s not best in class
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsMicra boasts respectable fuel economy and should be cheap to insure
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe Micra’s up-to-date cabin matches the smart exterior look, with plenty of customisation options
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot space - currently readingThe Micra features a practical boot, designed for the most common uses
- 6Reliability and SafetyImpressive standard safety kit is a big plus for the Micra