Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion
Eco-focused superminis are common now, but even in the late noughties that wasn’t the case
Years: 2007-09Price new: £11,995Engine: 1.4-litre 3cyl, 79bhp
Eco-focused superminis are common now, but even in the late noughties that wasn’t the case. The Mk4 VW Polo was the first model to wear the BlueMotion badge, and had a 1.4 three-cylinder TDI engine optimised for efficiency, plus a host of changes to cut the car’s already low costs.
Lightweight wheels and low-rolling-resistance tyres, a more aerodynamic grille and longer gear ratios all helped keep CO2 down to 99g/km, which means it’s still free to tax today, nearly a decade on.
The 79bhp TDI featured belongs to Derek O’Donoghue and his girlfriend Laura Keane. It has a variable-geometry turbo – similar to the Porsche 911 Turbo of the time – so there’s more torque available lower down, which means you have to rev the engine less so use less fuel. While 0-62mph takes a lengthy 12.8 seconds, the BlueMotion is about numbers of a different kind, with returns of 72mpg. The engine clatters from cold, although at speed the Polo is more refined, thanks to low cruising revs – even with a five-speed gearbox.
However, the real pleasure is watching the fuel needle taking its time to fall, as the car ekes out its 45 litres of diesel over around 700 miles.
Click the links below for the other 1,400cc cars that have made our list.
In this review
- 1IntroductionAuto Express celebrates 1,400 issues by driving our favourite 1,400cc cars from the last 25 years
- 2Reliant Scimitar SSTReliant may have been most famous for its three-wheelers, but it has also dabbled in sports cars.
- 3Caterham Seven K SeriesClassic looks and modern tech are an enticing mix in a sports car, and the Caterham Seven Classic has them both.
- 4Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion - currently readingEco-focused superminis are common now, but even in the late noughties that wasn’t the case
- 5Mercedes A140It’s easy to forget how influential the original A-Class was. Mercedes’ first people carrier was tall, but had a short wheelbase.
- 6Audi A2
- 7Volkswagen Golf GTE
- 8Vauxhall Nova 1.4SR Boxy styling and blistered wheelarches inspired a generation of car fans in the eighties, and the Vauxhall Nova SR was the aspirational warm hatch for young drivers who wanted thrills without the bills.
- 9Fiat Panda 100HPThe Fiat Group has used 1.4 power several times in its history
- 10Abarth 595C
- 11Rover 214When planning this road test we knew there was one car that had to be here: the Rover 214.