Fiat Panda 100HP
The Fiat Group has used 1.4 power several times in its history
Years: 2006-2010Price new: £9,995Engine: 1.4-litre 4cyl, 99bhp
The Fiat Group has used 1.4 power several times in its history. While current cars such as the Alfa Romeo MiTo and Abarth 595 use the turbocharged 1.4 MultiAir engine, the Panda 100HP featured naturally aspirated power.
The 1.4-litre 16v makes 100PS – hence the car’s name – and the 100HP got lowered suspension and some chunky styling add-ons to mark it out from the rest of the range. It was the only second-generation Panda to come with a six-speed manual gearbox, and the closely packed ratios were designed to keep the engine on the boil. That’s because peak power is made at a heady 5,800rpm, while peak torque comes in at 4,250rpm, and the engine revs all the way to 6,500rpm.
This rev-happy engine complements the super-stiff chassis. The ride is firm even on smooth roads, but that means the 100HP is hugely entertaining in corners – although the numb steering does peg back the 100HP’s performance car credentials.
Click the links below for the other 1,400cc cars that have made our list.
In this review
- 1IntroductionAuto Express celebrates 1,400 issues by driving our favourite 1,400cc cars from the last 25 years
- 2Reliant Scimitar SSTReliant may have been most famous for its three-wheelers, but it has also dabbled in sports cars.
- 3Caterham Seven K SeriesClassic looks and modern tech are an enticing mix in a sports car, and the Caterham Seven Classic has them both.
- 4Volkswagen Polo BlueMotionEco-focused superminis are common now, but even in the late noughties that wasn’t the case
- 5Mercedes A140It’s easy to forget how influential the original A-Class was. Mercedes’ first people carrier was tall, but had a short wheelbase.
- 6Audi A2
- 7Volkswagen Golf GTE
- 8Vauxhall Nova 1.4SR Boxy styling and blistered wheelarches inspired a generation of car fans in the eighties, and the Vauxhall Nova SR was the aspirational warm hatch for young drivers who wanted thrills without the bills.
- 9Fiat Panda 100HP - currently readingThe Fiat Group has used 1.4 power several times in its history
- 10Abarth 595C
- 11Rover 214When planning this road test we knew there was one car that had to be here: the Rover 214.