Safest small SUV: Volkswagen T-Roc
The T-Roc’s fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers
Those looking for a fun drive have never really found much joy in the Volkswagen SUV range, mind you that’s not stopped thousands from buying one. However, the latest arrival to the party, the T-Roc, brings a little driving pleasure and is also as practical and easy to use as drivers have come to expect from VWs.
There is a bit too much cheap plastic in the cabin for the more expensive models in our opinion but otherwise, the T-Roc is a strong package. And better still, Euro NCAP has crowned it as the safest small SUV tested in 2017.
The T-Roc is a direct competitor to the likes of the Nissan Juke, Vauxhall Mokka X and Peugeot 2008, and if you can cope with the cheap cabin plastics, the funky styling and good levels of tech make it a decent option.
Though it's unlikely to set petrolhead hearts alight, family buyers will be pleased to know that the T-Roc has been crowned Euro NCAP's safest small SUV in 2017. With an impressive 96% score in the adult occupant category, and a still-good 87% score for child occupants.
Safest small SUV - previous winners
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest small family car: Mercedes A-ClassAs well as a stylish look, the latest A-Class is packed with cutting-edge safety tech
- 3Safest large family car: Lexus ESExecutive hybrid earned some of the highest percentage scores of any Euro NCAP test
- 4Safest large SUV: Hyundai NexoNew SUV earns five stars in first-ever Euro NCAP test for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle
- 5Safest hybrid & electric car: Lexus ESA second award for the new Lexus executive saloon, this time in the 2018 safest hybrid and electric category
- 6Safest supermini: Volkswagen PoloEuro NCAP has proven that the Volkswagen Polo isn't just spacious and practical, it's safe, too
- 7Safest small MPV: Opel/Vauxhall Crossland XThe Crossland X came as a much needed replacement for the old Meriva, offering styling in line with modern trends and great safety ratings
- 8Safest large MPV: Ford GalaxySafety is important to family buyers, and those after a large seven-seat MPV would be very safe in the Ford Galaxy
- 9Safest roadster/convertible: Mazda MX-5Good-looking, great to drive and cheap - and now the MX-5 is rated Euro NCAP's safest convertible of 2015
- 10Safest small SUV: Volkswagen T-Roc - currently readingThe T-Roc’s fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers