The Volvo V40 is probably the safest car ever made, and a worthy winner of our Safety Award
Few brands have done as much to improve safety on the roads as Volvo. Over the last seven decades, it’s been behind some great life-saving innovations, such as three-point seatbelts and rear-facing child seats.
So it’s no surprise to find that the Volvo V40 continues this fine tradition. And don’t just take our word for it – the crash test experts at Euro NCAP declared the five-door the safest car they’ve ever assessed.
The secret to the V40’s success is a raft of clever features aimed at protecting its occupants and other road users. All cars get the City Safety low-speed collision avoidance system as standard, while the optional Driver Support Pack adds blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist and pedestrian detection.
And if the unthinkable does happen, the V40’s unique pedestrian airbag reduces the risk of injury significantly. It sits under the bonnet, and deploys in an instant to form a life-saving cushion between the pedestrian and the unforgiving engine components.
This is on top of seven airbags and a sophisticated stability control system – and better still, the V40’s great safety record doesn’t come at the expense of style.
- 1Introduction18 class winners, 36 commended cars, 8 Special Awards and the 2013 Auto Express Car of the Year – it's all here
- 2Car of the YearThe most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
- 3Best City CarThe Skoda Citigo retains its Best City Car crown thanks to a combination of comfort, low running costs and superb on-road ability
- 4Best SuperminiThe Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
- 5Best Compact Family CarThe SEAT Leon fights off its fellow VW Group rivals to take the gold medal in one of the most competitive classes around
- 6Best Family CarThe new Mazda 6 sees of all-comers to take family car class honours
- 7Best Estate CarOffering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
- 8Best Five-Seat MPVFord's innovative small MPV pips its big brother – the C-MAX – to the Best Five-seat MPV award
- 9Best MPVFor the third year in a row, the SEAT Alhambra wins the Auto Express Best MPV award
- 10Best CrossoverThe Mazda CX-5 is a talented all-rounder that offers everything you could want from a crossover