Audi A5 Coupe review - Practicality, comfort and boot space
Despite the coupe body, the A5 is still reasonably practical with the biggest boot in its class
One of the biggest sacrifices you have to make when opting for a coupe over a saloon is a lack of practicality. Having only two-doors can make access to the rear slightly awkward for taller adults and rather than three rear seats, you’ll only find two.
Once back there you will notice that there is more head and legroom than you’d initially think. Another plus is that the boot is only 15 litres down on the A4 saloon at 465 litres. That’s also 65 litres more than you get in a Mercedes C-Class Coupe.
It’s not as tall as either of its closest rivals but it is the widest, which means more shoulder room for rear passengers.
A wheelbase of 2,764mm should mean there isn’t as much space inside as in the BMW or Mercedes, as both of those models have a longer wheelbase. However, because the roofline on the Audi isn’t as steeply raked as those of its rivals, there is more headroom. Legroom is very similar on all models, however.
The new A5 has 10 litres of extra boot space over the model it replaces, though, at 465 litres that’s still 10 litres less than the A4 Saloon on which its based. Still, it has a 20-litre carrying capacity advantage over the BMW 4 Series Coupe. Other highlights include a 40:20:40 split/fold bench, plus remote tailgate opening.
In this review
- 1Audi A5 Coupe reviewThe Audi A5 is a talented premium coupe that's well-built and comfortable, but it's beginning to feel its age
- 2Engines, performance and driveSmooth and comfortable but lacks the excitement you get from a BMW 4 Series
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsEconomical on paper but almost 70mpg is tough to match in the real world
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe A5 is not all that exciting from the outside, but a state-of-the-art cabin makes up for it
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot space - currently readingDespite the coupe body, the A5 is still reasonably practical with the biggest boot in its class
- 6Reliability and SafetyTop marks from Euro NCAP and a raft of kit makes it a safe family car