Audi A5 Coupe review - Reliability and Safety
Top marks from Euro NCAP and a raft of kit makes it a safe family car
The Audi A5 finished in 70th place out of 100 cars featured in our 2019 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey – owners cited high running costs as an issue, while reliability wasn’t deemed to be great, with 20 per cent of owners reporting a fault with their car. By contrast, the A5’s Lexus RC rival achieved a 31st-place finish and a strong reliability rating.
There should be little to worry about in terms of safety, though. Euro NCAP scored both the A4 saloon and A5 coupe five stars out of five in its crash tests. It awarded the A5 89 per cent for adult occupant protection too.
Standard safety kit across the A5 range includes autonomous braking, stability control, a host of airbags and ISOFIX child-seat mounts. You can add Audi’s Driving Assistance pack for £1,250, which includes blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning.
Like every Audi, the A5 comes with a three-year, 60,000-mile warranty that includes unlimited mileage in the first two years.Mercedes and BMW both offer an unlimited mileage three-year warranty, however.
Audi offers two different service schedules for its cars depending on expected use. Its fixed schedule is recommended for lower-mileage, urban-based cars and includes services every year or 9,000 miles; a flexible service schedule is for higher-mileage use on motorways and main roads, with 19,000-mile or two-year service intervals. A range of fixed-price options are available; prices work out at around £470 to £600 depending on engines, with monthly payment options also offered.
In this review
- 1Audi A5 Coupe reviewThe Audi A5 is a talented premium coupe that's well-built and comfortable, but it's beginning to feel its age
- 2Engines, performance and driveSmooth and comfortable but lacks the excitement you get from a BMW 4 Series
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsEconomical on paper but almost 70mpg is tough to match in the real world
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe A5 is not all that exciting from the outside, but a state-of-the-art cabin makes up for it
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceDespite the coupe body, the A5 is still reasonably practical with the biggest boot in its class
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingTop marks from Euro NCAP and a raft of kit makes it a safe family car