Audi A5 Coupe review - Reliability and safety
Top marks from Euro NCAP and a raft of kit makes the A5 a safe family car
The Audi A5 finished in 71st place on our list of the best cars to own – a 15-place drop compared to the year before – with the results based on owners’ feedback from the 2023 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey. As a brand, Audi will be disappointed with ranking 30th out of 32 in our best car manufacturer rankings. All of its rivals including BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar ranked far higher, so improvement is clearly needed.
Standard safety kit across the A5 range includes autonomous braking, stability control, a host of airbags and Isofix child-seat mounts. Adaptive cruise control with a speed limiter and distance sensor is also fitted as standard, along with a rear-view camera.
Like every Audi, the A5 comes with a three-year, 60,000-mile warranty that includes unlimited mileage in the first two years. Mercedes and BMW both offer an unlimited mileage three-year warranty, however.
Audi offers two different service schedules for its cars depending on expected use. Its fixed schedule is recommended for lower-mileage, urban-based cars and includes services every year or 9,000 miles; a flexible service schedule is for higher-mileage use on motorways and main roads, with 19,000-mile or two-year service intervals. A range of fixed-price options are available, as are monthly payment options.
In this review
- 1Audi A5 Coupe reviewThe Audi A5 is a talented premium coupe that's well-built and comfortable, but it's beginning to feel its age
- 2Engines, performance and driveSmooth and comfortable, but the A5 lacks the excitement you get from a BMW 4 Series
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe A5 diesel models deliver strong economy, although top-spec petrol cars offer poor residual values
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe A5 is not all that exciting from the outside, but a state-of-the-art cabin makes up for it
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceDespite the coupe body, the A5 is still reasonably practical with the biggest boot in its class
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingTop marks from Euro NCAP and a raft of kit makes the A5 a safe family car