Lamborghini Aventador S - best supercars
The Aventador S is a beast. It snarls, spits and cracks its way down the road at incredible speed, making it a truly brilliant supercar
Without looking too closely, the new Lamborghini Aventador S would appear fundamentally identical to the original. But peer a little closer and you will see that the big Lambo has made giant gains in terms of performance, and subtle updates to the styling have kept it looking good.
Among the improvements are four-wheel steering, a dollop more power and aerodynamic updates, which are claimed to give the Aventador up to 50 per cent more downforce at high speed. The 6.5-litre V12 pumps out 730bhp and 690Nm, which is good for 217mph and a 0-62mph time of just 2.9 seconds.
The boffins at Lamborghini claim that the addition of the four-wheel steering system has the same effect as taking half a metre off the wheelbase, and given the opportunity to throw one around some corner, it’s clear they’re not wrong. The icing on the cake is the steering, which has gone from being a bit of a let down in the old car to having fantastic fluidity, weight and feel to it.
Top 10 best supercars 2019
- 1IntroductionThe 10 best supercars on sale today offer performance, thrills and outstanding style
- 21. McLaren 720SThe UK’s answer to the Ferrari 488, only with more power, more performance and a drop more practicality
- 32. Ferrari 488 GTBAdding turbos may have the enraged the purists, but the 488 GTB is a massive leap forward from the 458
- 43. Lamborghini Huracan PerformanteThe Huracan Performante is nearly twice the price of the Porsche 911 GT3, but it delivers a sense of occasion like no other
- 54. Ferrari 812 SuperfastDoes the Ferrari 812 live up to the legacy left by the F12? You bet it does...
- 65. Porsche 911 GT2 RSThe Porsche 911 GT2 RS carries a massive premium over the GT3, but few buyers will care with such extraordinary performance
- 76. Audi R8 V10 PlusThe Audi R8 has long been one of the best ‘everyday’ supercars, and this hasn’t changed despite losing the V8 option
- 87. Ford GTBorn on the racetrack and modified to meet road regulations, the new Ford GT is one of the most exhilarating cars on the road
- 98. Aston Martin DBS SuperleggeraThe Aston Martin DBS Superleggera slots into the space between the DB11 and the Vantage
- 109. Lamborghini Aventador S - currently readingThe Aventador S is a beast. It snarls, spits and cracks its way down the road at incredible speed, making it a truly brilliant supercar
- 1110. Honda NSXThe second generation Honda NSX is here, ready to take on the world again with a baffling array of tech