World cup shoot-out!
We name best family car on sale in 2010’s biggest road test.
WELCOME to a road test with a difference! When we decided to find the best family car on sale, we took our inspiration from the football field. As 2010 is a World Cup year, all eyes will be on South Africa this summer – but we beat the hype with a knock-out tournament of our own.
Like the real thing, we start with the group stages. Here, 43 cars from across eight different sectors of the market come together, with everything from supermini estates to family hatchbacks in the mix. Our group winners then enter a draw to decide the quarter final matches, before we narrow them down to four semi finalists and, eventually, two finalists.
Would our winner be a traditional superpower from the ranks of family cars or compact estates, or would it come from one of the rising stars in the family car game? There’s only one way to find out – so take your seats and settle back for our biggest road test of the year...
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingWe name best family car on sale in 2010’s biggest road test.
- 2Final: Skoda Superb vs Renault ScenicMPV champ meets our top hatch in epic battle. Will it go to penalties?
- 3Semi final 2VW Group duo have put in polished performances so far in our showdown. Now, they come together for a chance to take overall glory
- 4Semi final 1We’re only one round away from the final, and the nerves are jangling as French people carriers come face-to-face. So, which one gets the nod?
- 5Quarter final 4Skoda Superb vs Skoda Yeti
- 6Quarter final 3Kia Cee'd vs Volkswagen Golf
- 7Quarter final 2Renault Scenic vs Volkswagen Golf Estate
- 8Quarter final 1Citroen C3 Picasso vs Renault Clio Sport Tourer
- 9Group 8: Family hatchbacksPracticality, affordability, styling and driving fun... Buyers demand a lot from modern family cars. So which large five-door scores across the board?
- 10Group 7: Compact MPVsEuropean models dominate this sector of the market. Now, we reveal which flexible five-seater takes the glory on the global stage
- 11Group 6: Compact SUVsPractical, stylish and fun to drive, the latest small, road-biased 4x4s are ideal if you don’t plan to venture far off the tarmac. But which will qualify?
- 12Group 5: Compact family estatesGet a load of five of the most practical carriers on the market. One of these luggage-swallowing big hitters could go all the way!
- 13Group 4: Compact familyTo get through to the quarter finals from this keenly contested sector, our class winner needs to be an all-round star.
- 14Group 3: Budget family carsWhich models make the most financial sense? We bring together four of the best value buys in UK showrooms to name our winner
- 15Group 2: Supermini-MPVsThese cars combine the driving dynamics of a supermini with the versatility of a people carrier – and competition to reach the quarter finals is fierce.