Semi final 1
We’re only one round away from the final, and the nerves are jangling as French people carriers come face-to-face. So, which one gets the nod?
EntrantsWINNER: Renault Scenic (£14,703-£23,637) beat VW Golf estate in quarter final
It's the battle of the MPVs, as our supermini-based champion meets the best the family sector has to offer. In World Cup terms, this is a clash of the titans – either the Citroen C3 Picasso or Renault Scenic will leave disappointed at having come so close to the final.
At stake is the chance to pit their wits against the winner of a tough battle between the Skoda Superb and VW Golf. But before our MPVs start to dream of lifting the trophy, they’ve got to win this match – and it won’t be an easy task. Both makers have a talent for producing brilliant MPVs, and these cars have all the versatility we expect from a modern people carrier.
Their interiors provide a huge number of storage cubbies, while their practical sliding rear seats help owners balance rear legroom and boot space as required. The French firms are also renowned for their diesel engines, and both cars come with a range of torquey oil-burners. So, how can we separate them? Well, their looks are sure to split opinion, as the boxy C3 Picasso is even less conventional than the Scenic. With its huge panoramic windscreen and glitzy light clusters, the Citroen doesn’t attempt to disguise its people carrier profile. If you’re in denial about your family car needs, the Renault is the more low-key and attractive choice.
The Scenic is 266mm longer than its rival and has a bigger wheelbase, so has more room inside as a result. Even with its rear seats slid all the way back, it provides a healthy 437-litre luggage capacity, while pushing them as far forward as possible liberates 522 litres. The Picasso has 385 and 500 litres respectively.
So the Renault is bigger – and it’s also more accomplished to drive. There’s a larger line-up of trim levels to choose from, and the engine range is wider, too – it includes a 1.4-litre petrol turbo, as well as an economical 1.5-litre diesel. On top of all this, the Scenic is competitively priced, so it deserves to seal a place in our final.
In this review
- 1IntroductionWe name best family car on sale in 2010’s biggest road test.
- 2Final: Skoda Superb vs Renault ScenicMPV champ meets our top hatch in epic battle. Will it go to penalties?
- 3Semi final 2VW Group duo have put in polished performances so far in our showdown. Now, they come together for a chance to take overall glory
- 4Semi final 1 - currently readingWe’re only one round away from the final, and the nerves are jangling as French people carriers come face-to-face. So, which one gets the nod?
- 5Quarter final 4Skoda Superb vs Skoda Yeti
- 6Quarter final 3Kia Cee'd vs Volkswagen Golf
- 7Quarter final 2Renault Scenic vs Volkswagen Golf Estate
- 8Quarter final 1Citroen C3 Picasso vs Renault Clio Sport Tourer
- 9Group 8: Family hatchbacksPracticality, affordability, styling and driving fun... Buyers demand a lot from modern family cars. So which large five-door scores across the board?
- 10Group 7: Compact MPVsEuropean models dominate this sector of the market. Now, we reveal which flexible five-seater takes the glory on the global stage
- 11Group 6: Compact SUVsPractical, stylish and fun to drive, the latest small, road-biased 4x4s are ideal if you don’t plan to venture far off the tarmac. But which will qualify?
- 12Group 5: Compact family estatesGet a load of five of the most practical carriers on the market. One of these luggage-swallowing big hitters could go all the way!
- 13Group 4: Compact familyTo get through to the quarter finals from this keenly contested sector, our class winner needs to be an all-round star.
- 14Group 3: Budget family carsWhich models make the most financial sense? We bring together four of the best value buys in UK showrooms to name our winner
- 15Group 2: Supermini-MPVsThese cars combine the driving dynamics of a supermini with the versatility of a people carrier – and competition to reach the quarter finals is fierce.