Mazda 3 MPS
Fastest ever Mazda 3 targets new Focus RS.
The red-hot new Mazda 3 hasfinally broken cover. These are the first official images of theflagship MPS, ahead of its debut at next month’s Geneva Motor Show.
Ituses the same 256bhp 2.3-litre turbocharged engine as the existingmodel – and offers a 0-60mph sprint of 6 seconds and a top speed of155mph. Only the imminent 301bhp Focus RS has more power in thefront-wheel-drive hot hatch class.
The fresh shape of thelatest 3 has been beefed up with a Subaru Impreza-style bonnet scoop,deeper front and rear bumpers, a prominent boot lip spoiler and twinexhausts.
Even though it provides near-identical performance to the outgoing car, the new flagship will deliver improved economy, as well as emissions that meet Euro V regulations. This is due to subtle engine tweaks and a marginally lighter kerbweight.
Alsoat Geneva will be an i-stop version of the 3. It has a 148bhp 2.0-litreDISI petrol engine with a stop-start system, cutting emissions by 12per cent to 161g/km. The green set-up is due to be fitted across therange in the coming months.
In this review
- 1IntroductionHome of the best Geneva Motor Show coverage on the web.
- 2MINI John Cooper Works Convertible - official picturesFastest MINI convertible ever poised for Geneva debut
- 3BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo ConceptBMW enters a new niche with a stunning hatchback version of the 5-Series!
- 4Fiat 500 CabrioFiat reveals first ever pictures of new 500C ahead of its Geneva debut next month.
- 5Rolls Royce 200EX revealedSpirit of legendary British luxury car maker lives on in son of Phantom...
- 6Saab 9-3X - official picsThe new 9-3X promises SUV-like off-road ability combined with the practicality of an estate.
- 7Wraps come off E-Class CoupéMerc's CLK replacement has arrived, and we have first pictures of the new stunner.
- 8MiTo GTA blasts offSizzling flagship gets a high-power turbo. It also features bodykit and stiffer suspension
- 9Audi A4 allroad - officialWith its raised suspension and toughened bodywork, the new A4 Allroad is just as happy on the rough stuff as it is on Tarmac
- 10911 GT3 - first picsHarder and faster version of the 911 will debut at Geneva
- 11Electric 2+2 on showMitsubishi is set to reveal a new version of its electric i MiEV Sport concept at the Geneva Motor Show in March.
- 12Star of future is light fantasticStudy uses tailgate as screen to warn following drivers.
- 13MINI’s new base champEntry-level One is the cheapest and most frugal Clubman yet.
- 14Fastest BentleyNew model from Bentley guzzles biofuel, and delivers rocketship performance.
- 15Vauxhall AmperaVauxhall parent company Opel plans to lift the lid on new plans for electric cars at this year's Geneva Motor Show.
- 16Citroen DS returnsFrench maker shocks with all-new DS-badged luxury line-up, spearheaded by stunning MINI rival.
- 17Mazda 3 MPS - currently readingFastest ever Mazda 3 targets new Focus RS.
- 18Renault ClioSharpened up Clio arrives with an all-new look and a hot GT model...
- 19Kia’s MPV conceptSupermini-MPV gunning for top of the class.
- 20New Spark lights up Chevrolet in GenevaMatiz replacement confirmed for Geneva Unveil, and we get a first look at the interior.