Ferrari 488 GTB - best supercars
Adding turbos may have the enraged the purists, but the 488 GTB is a massive leap forward from the 458
Anyone who was concerned about the turbocharged 488 GTB not being as pure or exciting to drive as its predecessor can rest easy. No, it doesn’t sound as magnificent as a 458 Italia at full steam, but it still sounds more than good enough for a Ferrari. And in all other aspects the 488 is utterly sensational to drive, on road or track, and in the simplest of terms is also insanely fast. The best just got better, and by an amount that even we are still somewhat shocked by.
So well balanced is this car on the way into, in the middle of, and especially on the way out of corners that the intimidation factor has been all but eradicated, despite the fact that it feels massively more potent than the 458 in all seven gears.
That’s one heck of a combination of talents to install under just one roof. Bottom line, the 488 might be turbocharged and mightn’t sound as spine tingling as before, but in all other aspects it represents yet another giant leap forwards for Ferrari.
Top 10 best supercars 2019
- 1IntroductionThe 10 best supercars on sale today offer performance, thrills and outstanding style
- 21. McLaren 720SThe UK’s answer to the Ferrari 488, only with more power, more performance and a drop more practicality
- 32. Ferrari 488 GTB - currently readingAdding turbos may have the enraged the purists, but the 488 GTB is a massive leap forward from the 458
- 43. Lamborghini Huracan PerformanteThe Huracan Performante is nearly twice the price of the Porsche 911 GT3, but it delivers a sense of occasion like no other
- 54. Ferrari 812 SuperfastDoes the Ferrari 812 live up to the legacy left by the F12? You bet it does...
- 65. Porsche 911 GT2 RSThe Porsche 911 GT2 RS carries a massive premium over the GT3, but few buyers will care with such extraordinary performance
- 76. Audi R8 V10 PlusThe Audi R8 has long been one of the best ‘everyday’ supercars, and this hasn’t changed despite losing the V8 option
- 87. Ford GTBorn on the racetrack and modified to meet road regulations, the new Ford GT is one of the most exhilarating cars on the road
- 98. Aston Martin DBS SuperleggeraThe Aston Martin DBS Superleggera slots into the space between the DB11 and the Vantage
- 109. Lamborghini Aventador SThe Aventador S is a beast. It snarls, spits and cracks its way down the road at incredible speed, making it a truly brilliant supercar
- 1110. Honda NSXThe second generation Honda NSX is here, ready to take on the world again with a baffling array of tech