Ford Transit Custom
Our Van of the Year is hi-tech, practical and the first van in its class to get a five-star crash test rating
Such is the popularity of the Ford Transit among van buyers, if it was a car it would consistently feature in the top 10 sellers, outselling the Mondeo – so the launch of a new Transit is big news in the van world.
What makes this latest model worthy of Auto Express’ first Van of the Year Award is its array of user-friendly features. The load space is among the largest in the class, with even the shortest models able to swallow three Euro pallets.
Low-emissions ECOnetic versions promise up to 46.3mpg economy, and the Transit Custom will keep working for longer than its rivals with service intervals of 30,000 miles.
It’s the first van in its class to achieve a five-star Euro NCAP crash test rating, and has hi-tech features like Lane Keeping Alert. Plus, SYNC with emergency assistance helps occupants phone the emergency services in one of 26 languages. The Transit’s also one of the best-driving vans, with good ride and handling.
Fiat Doblo Cargo
With the highest payload in its class (up to 1,000kg) and an extensive range of bodystyles, the Doblo is a fine choice for anyone looking for a smaller van. It’s good to drive, too, and offers a wide choice of engines and a spacious cab.
The Sprinter is not only the best big van to drive, but the range of sizes makes it suitable for all manner of jobs, too. As you’d expect from Mercedes, it was also one of the first vans to provide an advanced range of safety features.
- 1Introduction18 class winners, 36 commended cars, 8 Special Awards and the 2013 Auto Express Car of the Year – it's all here
- 2Car of the YearThe most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
- 3Best City CarThe Skoda Citigo retains its Best City Car crown thanks to a combination of comfort, low running costs and superb on-road ability
- 4Best SuperminiThe Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
- 5Best Compact Family CarThe SEAT Leon fights off its fellow VW Group rivals to take the gold medal in one of the most competitive classes around
- 6Best Family CarThe new Mazda 6 sees of all-comers to take family car class honours
- 7Best Estate CarOffering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
- 8Best Five-Seat MPVFord's innovative small MPV pips its big brother – the C-MAX – to the Best Five-seat MPV award
- 9Best MPVFor the third year in a row, the SEAT Alhambra wins the Auto Express Best MPV award
- 10Best CrossoverThe Mazda CX-5 is a talented all-rounder that offers everything you could want from a crossover