Ford Transit Custom
Our Van of the Year is hi-tech, practical and the first van in its class to get a five-star crash test rating
Such is the popularity of the Ford Transit among van buyers, if it was a car it would consistently feature in the top 10 sellers, outselling the Mondeo – so the launch of a new Transit is big news in the van world.
What makes this latest model worthy of Auto Express’ first Van of the Year Award is its array of user-friendly features. The load space is among the largest in the class, with even the shortest models able to swallow three Euro pallets.
Low-emissions ECOnetic versions promise up to 46.3mpg economy, and the Transit Custom will keep working for longer than its rivals with service intervals of 30,000 miles.
It’s the first van in its class to achieve a five-star Euro NCAP crash test rating, and has hi-tech features like Lane Keeping Alert. Plus, SYNC with emergency assistance helps occupants phone the emergency services in one of 26 languages. The Transit’s also one of the best-driving vans, with good ride and handling.
Fiat Doblo Cargo
With the highest payload in its class (up to 1,000kg) and an extensive range of bodystyles, the Doblo is a fine choice for anyone looking for a smaller van. It’s good to drive, too, and offers a wide choice of engines and a spacious cab.
The Sprinter is not only the best big van to drive, but the range of sizes makes it suitable for all manner of jobs, too. As you’d expect from Mercedes, it was also one of the first vans to provide an advanced range of safety features.
- 1Introduction18 class winners, 36 commended cars, 8 Special Awards and the 2013 Auto Express Car of the Year – it's all here
- 2Car of the YearThe most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
- 3Best City CarThe Skoda Citigo retains its Best City Car crown thanks to a combination of comfort, low running costs and superb on-road ability
- 4Best SuperminiThe Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
- 5Best Compact Family CarThe SEAT Leon fights off its fellow VW Group rivals to take the gold medal in one of the most competitive classes around
- 6Best Family CarThe new Mazda 6 sees of all-comers to take family car class honours
- 7Best Estate CarOffering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
- 8Best Five-Seat MPVFord's innovative small MPV pips its big brother – the C-MAX – to the Best Five-seat MPV award
- 9Best MPVFor the third year in a row, the SEAT Alhambra wins the Auto Express Best MPV award
- 10Best CrossoverThe Mazda CX-5 is a talented all-rounder that offers everything you could want from a crossover
- 11Best Compact SUVThe Range Rover Evoque is one of the most striking cars on the road – but it's also more than just a pretty face
- 12Best Large SUVThe talented Santa Fe is one of the best models Hyundai has ever produced
- 13Best Hot HatchThe Ford Fiesta ST is in a class of its own – and better value for money than its key rivals
- 14Best CoupeThe brilliant Porsche Cayman pips its big brother - the 911 – and three-time winner the Peugeot RCZ to the Best Coupe prize
- 15Best RoadsterThe new Porsche Boxster is so good it makes you question why anyone would every buy a 911
- 16Best ConvertibleWith funky looks, premium quality and low running costs – frivolity has never been so sensible. Or so desirable
- 17Best Pick-upWith decent handling, comfort levels and build quality, the VW Amarok is a cut above its rivals
- 18Best Compact Executive CarThe 3 Series continues its undisputed reign as king of the compact executive class
- 19Best Executive CarBMW 5 Series fends off some impressive German rivals to take the executive class crown
- 20Best Luxury CarAs a 4x4, an SUV and a luxury car, the Range Rover is jack of all trades. But it's a master of all trades, too
- 21Performance Car of the YearThe entertaining GT 86 outguns a host of big-name sports cars to take Performance Car of the Year
- 22Design Award The latest incarnation of the iconic Range Rover is voted by Auto Express readers as the best designed car of 2013
- 23Green AwardThe Vauxhall Ampera's innovative range-extending powertrain wins it our Green Award
- 24Van of the Year - currently readingOur Van of the Year is hi-tech, practical and the first van in its class to get a five-star crash test rating
- 25Safety AwardThe Volvo V40 is probably the safest car ever made, and a worthy winner of our Safety Award
- 26Driver Power AwardThe Japanese premium brand has reclaimed its Driver Power top spot for the first time in four years
- 27Hall of FameBMW board member inducted into the Auto Express Hall of Fame