14. Land Rover: Discovery 4
A laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car
A trendy young couple enter a launderette with an armful of desert travel gear that needs washing. Sand pours out of the clothes as the laundry man picks up the load. The same pair come in again and again – each time with an array of different gear that speaks volumes about the exotic locations they’ve recently visited. In the last clip, the laundry man sees them driving off in a Land Rover Discovery 4.
The expert view
“A classic advertising technique of taking a truth and adding hyperbole – if there is a car that can get you to the environment portrayed in the ad, it’s this one. I love the spider at the end and the laundry man’s crestfallen look every time he sees his clients.”
- 1IntroductionWe asked you to vote for your favourite TV car adverts of all-time – and now we count down the top 20...
- 2Honda Accord: The Cog
- 3Peugeot 206: The SculptorSomewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
- 4Citroen C4: TransformersA ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
- 5Renault Clio: Nicole & PapaFew adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
- 6Fiat Strada: Built by robotsIt shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
- 7VW Golf: Singing in the rain
- 8Toyota GT 86: The real deal"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
- 9Peugeot: Take my breathA field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
- 10Vauxhall: Little dads"A joy to watch."
- 11Land Rover: Discovery 4 - currently readingA laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car
- 12Audi A4: Not my styleThe star here is a cocky yuppie. He is shown test-driving an A4, interspersed with shots of him playing squash and barking orders on a trading floor.
- 13VW Golf: Best left alone" It is a classic, iconic-looking car."
- 14Nissan Almera: Sweeney
- 15Toyota: A car to be proud of"Simply funny."