McLaren Senna - Best track day cars
If you name a car after one of the greatest racing drivers that ever lived, it had better be good. And the Senna is
Ayrton Senna was arguably one of the greatest Formula One drives of all time, let alone his generation. So if you're going to name a car after him, it had better deliver the kind of track driving experience that would do the name justice. Thankfully, because it's the McLaren Senna, it delivers exactly that.
McLaren calls it the fastest road-legal track car in existence, and while the looks are devisive, they're designed to allow the Senna to cleave through the air and create downforce at high speeds. Combine this with a mid-mounted 789bhp twin-turbo V8 and carbon fibre construction that helps keep the kerbweight down to just over a tonne, and it's no surprise that the Senna is one of the fastest cars around a race track.
The £750k price tag means only a very lucky few will be able to experience the Senna first-hand, but those that will are in for a treat. It's as focused as a track car can get, and yet it's not intimidating to drive. Yes, it's an intense experience and it'll be a challenge to drive at the limit, but it still astonishes and amazes with its performance even when you're not at the limit.
Best track day cars 2019
- 1IntroductionWhether you're looking to shave tenths off your lap time, or simply want to have some fun, these are the UK's best track cars
- 21. Porsche 911 GT3 RSThere is no denying that our favourite track day car is one for the more wealthy track day drivers, but the stunningly engineered Porsche 911 GT3 RS is worth every penny.
- 32. Caterham SevenThe Caterham Seven allows you to enjoy the simple pleasures of driving.
- 43. Ferrari 488 PistaFerrari makes the 488 more exciting by removing weight and adding power
- 54. McLaren Senna - currently readingIf you name a car after one of the greatest racing drivers that ever lived, it had better be good. And the Senna is
- 65. Lamborghini Huracan PerformanteAt nearly twice the price of the Porsche 911 GT3 you would expect the Huracan Performante to offer an incredible driving experience, and on many levels it does.
- 76. McLaren 570S Track PackThe McLaren 570S Track Pack gets a range of add-ons designed to deliver the ultimate performance on track.
- 87. Porsche Cayman GTS Sublime handling balance, communicative controls and a stunning engine, the Cayman GTS is a car you’ll want to lap around a track all day.
- 98. Honda Civic Type RAs many petrolheads are aware, Honda has a history of making VTEC performance engines that deliver their best hit of power at the top end of the rev range.
- 109. Hyundai i30 NIt was not that long ago that Hyundai was knocking out dreary model after dreary model reserved for people who’s idea of excitement is a homemade Weetabix smoothie
- 1110. Ariel AtomPowered by a mid-mounted Honda Civic engine, the Atom feels like a big go-kart due to its exposed skeletal chassis.