MINI Electric review - Reliability and safety
Customers report that MINI builds reliable cars, while the Electric model offers good levels of safety kit.
Although the MINI Electric uses a new powertrain, it’s based on the proven hatchback architecture, so we’d expect it to maintain reliability. In our 2020 Driver Power satisfaction survey, only 8% of MINI owners reported a fault with their car, compared to 14% for Honda and 18.7% for Renault.
What’s not quite so reliable is MINI’s claimed range for the Electric model. In real world driving, expect to see the quoted 140/145 mile range dip much closer to the 100-mile mark.
Euro NCAP awarded the MINI three-door hatchback four (out of five) stars for safety, with scores of 79% and 73% for adult and child protection, respectively.
There are good levels of safety kit in the MINI Electric and Level 2 cars come with the Driving Assistant pack, including a camera-based assistance system that is able to recognise and warn of speed limits. It also has a pedestrian warning with autonomous braking if a potential collision is detected.
MINI offers a 3-year, unlimited mileage warranty. Nissan includes 3-year/60,000-mile cover for its Leaf model, while Renault has a five-year/100,000-mile warranty for the Zoe EV.
MINI provides the Electric Pay Monthly Service Plan to help spread the cost of scheduled maintenance.
In this review
- 1VerdictTypically stylish, quick and cheap to run, the MINI electric will put a smile on your face - although the limited range spoils the fun.
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe MINI’s electric powertrain creates a fast, fun-to-drive hatchback.
- 3Range, charging and running costsCompetitively priced, with efficient electric running costs, the only issue could be with the modest range.
- 4Interior, design and technologySubtle badging and a typically classy interior help the top-spec Electric model feel like a truly premium car.
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceYou don’t buy a MINI hatchback for its overwhelming practicality, but the Electric model could be ideal urban transport.
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingCustomers report that MINI builds reliable cars, while the Electric model offers good levels of safety kit.