Volvo XC60 review - Reliability and safety
Great safety kit and a strong showing in our Driver Power survey should inspire confidence in the XC60
Volvo’s focus on safety means the XC60 is fitted with lots of potentially life-saving equipment as standard.
All versions feature autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, dual-stage airbags and traffic sign recognition, while there’s also a system called oncoming lane mitigation, which steers away from oncoming traffic to avoid a head-on collision. The XC60 put in a very impressive performance during its Euro NCAP crash test and received a full five-star rating.
Blind spot monitoring is part of the £1,500 Intellisafe Surround pack, which also comes with rear cross traffic alert and steering assist tech that boosts steering input to help avoid an obstacle in an emergency.
The XC60 finished in a solid 30th position out of 75 cars in our latest Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, while the smaller XC40 achieved 14th place. Volvo as a brand placed 10th out of 30 manufacturers, rated highly for safety, build quality and design, although insurance premiums were felt to be too high.
A standard three-year warranty will cover anything that might go wrong, but very little should, given Volvo’s top half showing in our Driver Power league table. Volvo dealers didn’t put in such a strong showing in the dealer chart with a distinctly mid-table ranking.
Servicing your Volvo XC60 should be fairly straightforward. The XC60 needs a service once a year or every 10,000 miles, and fixed-price plans are available. However, in our comparison tests, Volvo often charges more for its service plans than its rivals do.
In this review
- 1Volvo XC60 reviewThe Volvo XC60 offers style, luxury, lots of advanced tech and is one of the best premium SUVs
- 2Engines, performance and drivePerformance is good, but the XC60 is more about relaxed progress than sporty handling – it’s what Volvo calls ‘inspired confidence’
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsDiesels are more frugal on longer journeys, but greener T6 and T8 plug-in models offer big company car tax savings
- 4Interior, design and technologyAnother stunning Volvo interior that’s well-made, looks great and is dominated by a fantastic 9-inch touchscreen
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spacePlenty of space for all the family – the XC60 will be an easy and comfortable car to live with
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingGreat safety kit and a strong showing in our Driver Power survey should inspire confidence in the XC60