Best for braking
Which UK car is your top of the stops? Our survey for braking performance reveals all.
When was the last time you looked at a car’s braking stats before you digested its performance figures?
Perhaps you should... As our survey shows, if you’re not confident in the ability of any model to slow down as effectively as it speeds up, you won’t ever feel truly at home behind the wheel.
The models at the top of this chart have a brake pedal that always delivers a sharp and accurate response and never prematurely activates the Antilock Braking System.
If a car isn’t scoring well in the braking chart it will leave drivers dreading emergency stops and not knowing exactly when to start slowing down for junctions or corners.
While you might expect a lightweight sports car to grab gold here, instead you’ll find a full sized executivesaloon in pole position, closely followed by a family model. Jaguar’s XF and Skoda’s Superb have proved to be the best brakers of the lot.
At the bottom of the chart three superminis show that it takes more than a low kerb weight to slow down effectively. The old shape versions of Ford’s Ka, Vauxhall’s Corsa and Fiat’s Punto are all leaving drivers wary of sudden braking.
What you said: "The best car I have ever owned - superb ride, handling is great - just love getting into the car every time - for the money, you will not find any car to beat it!" - Jaguar XF owner
"The steering, brakes and handling were all brilliant, Plus the boot is so big, and there's so much rear legroom, it feels like being in a limousine!" Superb Owner, David Tanner, of Fareham, Hants.
- 1IntroductionBuckle up! It's time to reveal your views on the best new cars for build quality, reliability, performance, running costs and more...
- 2Best for performanceTo win in this category, a car needs to be able to overtake with confidence and pull strongly in all gears.
- 3Best for reliabilityThe key to true owner satisfaction is dependability. Here we reveal Britain's most reliable cars.
- 4Best for comfortWe name Britain's most comfortable cars
- 5Best for handlingOur survey crowns Britain's best handling car, rated for steering feel and chassis balance.
- 6Best for braking - currently readingWhich UK car is your top of the stops? Our survey for braking performance reveals all.
- 7Best for running costsOur guide to the real cost of motoring names the cheapest, and most expensive cars in the UK.
- 8Best for build qualityIs your car free of squeaks and rattles? We name those that are.
- 9Best for ease of drivingWant a car that offers fuss free transport? Don't miss our guide to the UK's easiest cars to drive.
- 10Best for practicalityWhich car offers the best versatility. We ‘throw it all in and go’ to find out.