Best used luxury cars
The Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2020
Best used luxury car: Mercedes S-Class
Our pick: Mercedes S-Class S 350 d L AMG Line (2016/16, 59k mil es, £21,999)
The S-Class is hands-down our favourite new luxury car, so it should be no surprise to see that it’s our number one used luxury bargain, too.
Once again, pre-facelift versions of the current S-Class stand out as the best choice, with the silky-smooth, 254bhp S 350 d V6 diesel model representing a fabulous all-rounder. It offers performance, refinement and what could even be considered decent running costs, when you bear in mind that this is a market where whatever you buy will inevitably cost more than average to run.
The S-Class is a car that passengers will find astonishingly comfortable, thanks to a combination of brilliant body control and amazing ride quality. However, for those behind the wheel it’s also a highly convincing proposition. Allied to the strong diesel power of the S 350 d is the car’s composure. Don’t expect the S-Class to be as strong as a BMW 7 Series dynamically, but nothing beats it as a cruiser.
Standard and long-wheelbase versions of the S-Class are in abundant supply on the used market, and we’d opt for the latter: you won’t pay much more for one, but the additional space for your rear-seat passengers will allow those in the back to stretch out with limousine-rivalling rear legroom.
AMG Line cars are common on the used market, injecting one or two sporty styling touches into the otherwise vast saloon body. Many examples are high-mileage as former chauffeur and private hire vehicles, but some less-travelled cars from private sellers can be found around the same price bracket, such as the S 350 d L AMG Line we spotted, with 59,000 miles, for £21,999. However, if you want V8 petrol power, you’ll have to budget more.
Luxury costs, but that’s not necessarily the case with the S-Class, which could come in at £380 per month with a £2,500 deposit on BuyaCar.co.uk. The secret? As with several other cars here, it’s desirable, and is worth so much when you hand it back – £13,619 in this case – that it shrinks your monthly payments. That’s because PCP instalments cover the difference between the car’s initial price and its predicted value at the end of the contract.
The fourth-generation Range Rover will be replaced soon, but early examples of the current model come a close second to the S-Class. And if you’re looking for a luxury SUV, there’s simply no competition. We spotted a clean 63-plate TDV6 Vogue with just 35,000 miles for £29,640.
Aston Martin Rapide
If neither the S-Class nor Range Rover tickle your fancy, you could try an Aston Martin instead. Prices for the four-door Rapide have bottomed out, with pre-facelift cars now hitting £32k. Space for four is a little snug, but everyone onboard will be mesmerised by the rich V12 soundtrack
- 1IntroductionWe pick the best used cars to buy in 18 categories and name our overall Used Car of the Year for 2020
- 2Used Car of the Year 2020The SEAT Ibiza pulls all of its attributes together into a strong-performing package
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 4Best used superminisThe SEAT Ibiza is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Renault Kadjar is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 12Best used executive carsThe Volvo S90 is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 13Best used luxury cars - currently readingThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is the best used hot hatchback in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 20Best used electric carsThe Volkswagen e-Golf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2020