Best used executive cars
The BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
Best used executive car: BMW 5 Series
Prices from: £5,500Our pick: BMW 5 Series 2013 (62) 520d SE Auto, 70,000 miles, £9,400
The current BMW 5 Series is the best car in its class, thanks to its ride and handling. And the same is true of the previous-generation car on the used market.
Its comfortable ride, economical engine in 520d form and smooth eight-speed automatic gearbox are the secrets to the F10 5 Series’ success, and it fulfils the used executive car brief brilliantly. It’ll be easy to drive on the daily commute (especially with an automatic gearbox as we’ve picked out here), versatile as a family machine and one of the most enjoyable executive saloons to drive out there.
The 181bhp 2.0-litre diesel engine in the 520d isn’t as refined as more modern examples, but it’s not that raucous either. You’ll only really notice it intruding into the quiet cabin when you push it hard. That’s not too much of a chore, though, because it’s punchy and delivers enough performance to have fun on a country road, while the gearbox is a brilliant match.
The 5 Series’ fine handling also helps. The steering is the best of any car of a similar age, as the weight is perfect for the BMW’s size and agility. That’s made all the more apparent thanks to the grip on offer. The 5 Series is great on a motorway trip, but turn onto a twistier, narrower road, and the BMW comes alive.
BMW’s evolutionary styling philosophy means that even if you go for a 2013 model, it doesn’t look too dated, and while the infotainment system is a little old, it’s still easy to use. These points are true of any of the BMW’s rivals of this age, too.
There are many high-mileage examples on the market at very affordable prices, but we’ve gone for one with a middling 70,000 miles in SE trim, which should have plenty of life left in it yet.
On the road: It’s a fine cruiser, but the 5 Series comes alive on back roads and is great to drive.
Interior: Decent kit is on offer even in SE trim, while iDrive controller is an easy system to use.
Many business cars are leased, so it’s a sound way to gain access to a second-hand executive saloon such as the 5 Series.
It’s more than five years old so PCP in this case isn’t possible, but with leasing costs of £304 a month based on the usual three-year deal with a 10 per cent deposit, it’s affordable. If you can run it as a business asset and are VAT registered, you’ll get the cost back.
Audi A6 Mk4
The A6 is nearly as much of a bargain as the 5 Series, and is a quiet and comfortable cruiser. The Audi isn't as good to drive as the BMW, but interior quality is great and the economical diesels keep running costs low.
A budget of around £23,000 sees a surprisingly wide range of used Panameras available. Budget for pricey running costs and you’ve got a fast and luxurious Porsche for less than a new family hatchback.
Best used cars to buy - 2018 Used Car Awards winners
- 1IntroductionBag a used car bargain as our ultimate buying guide identifies the Used Cars of the Year winners – the best used cars to buy now
- 2Best used car: Jaguar XEThe Jaguar XE compact exec offers an unbeatable blend of style, performance, practicality, efficiency and value for money
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 4Best used superminisThe Ford Fiesta Mk6 is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 12Best used executive cars - currently readingThe BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is our best used hot hatchback of the year 2018
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 20Best used electric carsThe Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018