Land Rover Discovery review - MPG, CO2 and running costs
Mild-hybrid diesel engines offer a more efficient entry point to the Discovery line-up
All Discovery models are equipped with a stop-start function, while diesel (and petrol P360) versions add mild-hybrid technology to help improve economy. Both the D250 and D300 offer around 32-34mpg on the combined cycle, while CO2 emissions range from 218g/km to 232g/km, depending on your chosen specification.
The Discovery 2.0-litre, four-cylinder P300 variant is actually less efficient than its six-cylinder P360 sibling, with a best of 25.3mpg versus 26.7mpg. CO2 emissions start from 251g/km and 238g/km, respectively.
On the plus side, customers benefit from either an 89- (diesel) or 90-litre (petrol) fuel tank, so the Discovery’s cruising range should be well over 500 miles.
Insurance premiums won't be particularly cheap, with the entry Discovery P300 S sitting in group 39. You'll be paying out more for the P360 R-Dynamic HSE, as the top-of-the-range SUV is in group 45. The D250 and D300 diesel versions occupy groups 38 to 45.
As with most Land Rovers, the brand image and desirability of the badge mean residual values remain strong. After a typical three-year/36,000-mile ownership period, your Discovery should hold onto around 56-58% of its original list price.
In this review
- 1Land Rover Discovery reviewThe fifth-generation Land Rover Discovery isn't cheap, but it's one of the best all-round family cars money can buy
- 2Engines, performance and driveSix-cylinder petrol and diesel engines offer plenty of pace and performance
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running Costs - currently readingMild-hybrid diesel engines offer a more efficient entry point to the Discovery line-up
- 4Interior, design and technologyRange Rover levels of quality and refinement, plus even more tech and practicality give the Discovery a winning edge
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Disco’s interior is luxurious and cavernous, offering exactly what you want from a large, upmarket seven-seat SUV
- 6Reliability and SafetyA decent level of safety kit means all Discos should offer lots of protection for the family