Land Rover Discovery review - Reliability and safety
A decent level of safety kit means all Discos should offer lots of protection for the family
All models in the Land Rover Discovery range get autonomous emergency braking as standard, and this feature helped the car achieve a full five-star Euro NCAP safety rating when it was crash tested in 2017. You can upgrade the standard safety systems with optional extras and packs, or by going for higher trim levels.
Eight airbags and lane departure warning are also standard, but you have to upgrade to HSE spec if you want safety kit like blind spot warning and reverse traffic recognition. A rear-view camera is also standard, but if you want adaptive cruise control, that’s an extra, while safety packs adding features like queue assist semi-autonomous driving can also be had.
When it comes to reliability, Land Rover’s reputation isn’t the best. The company has had consistently poor results in our Driver Power owner satisfaction survey – and in 2021 finished 22nd out of 30 manufacturers.
The Discovery’s warranty is just a little bit better than the standard for the class with three years’ unlimited-mileage coverage. There’s also three years’ free roadside recovery.
Land Rover offers various servicing plans and flexible payment options to help manage scheduled maintenance costs.
In this review
- 1Land Rover Discovery reviewThe fifth-generation Land Rover Discovery isn't cheap, but it's one of the best all-round family cars money can buy
- 2Engines, performance and driveSix-cylinder petrol and diesel engines offer plenty of pace and performance
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsMild-hybrid diesel engines offer a more efficient entry point to the Discovery line-up
- 4Interior, design and technologyRange Rover levels of quality and refinement, plus even more tech and practicality give the Discovery a winning edge
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Disco’s interior is luxurious and cavernous, offering exactly what you want from a large, upmarket seven-seat SUV
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingA decent level of safety kit means all Discos should offer lots of protection for the family