Polestar 2 review - Reliability and safety
Polestar includes a great level of safety kit for the 2, while reliability should prove to be equally sound.
Polestar is still a relatively new manufacturer, but with Volvo contributing plenty of the car’s running gear, we’d expect reliability to not be too much of an issue. There has been one recall notice, issued in 2020, concerning faulty power inverters and potential loss of drive. However, Polestar has been quick to address this issue and fix affected customer cars.
In our 2021 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, Volvo finished ninth out of 29 manufacturers, while the XC40, which shares Volvo’s CMA platform with the Polestar 2, achieved an excellent eighth place on a list of 75 best cars to own.
Although the Polestar 2 hasn’t been crash-tested as yet by industry experts Euro NCAP, the relationship with Volvo also bodes well for safety. Polestar includes lane-keeping assistance, a blind-spot monitoring system, autonomous emergency braking, semi-autonomous cruise control, a cross-traffic alert and a rear collision warning system as standard.
Polestar offers 3-year/60,000-mile warranty cover for the 2, while Tesla provides a four-year/50,000-mile warranty for the Model 3.
Any new purchase of a Polestar 2 includes free servicing for three years at an authorised Polestar service partner, along with three years roadside assistance.
In this review
- 1Polestar 2 reviewThe stylish, all-electric Polestar 2 oozes quality and is a great alternative to a Tesla.
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe Polestar 2 is quick, but it can't quite match the pace of the Tesla Model 3.
- 3Range, charging and running costsGood range and low electric running costs make the Polestar 2 a practical family choice.
- 4Interior, design and technologyPolestar has engineered plenty of quality, style and great tech into the 2.
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceGood range, a comfortable cabin and a practical hatchback body style will attract customers to the Polestar 2.
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingPolestar includes a great level of safety kit for the 2, while reliability should prove to be equally sound.