Best City Car: Skoda Citigo
Why it won...
Cars that move the goalposts are what get us most excited, and the Skoda Citigo hasn’t just moved them, it has put them on another pitch altogether. In a sector full of talent, it stands out as genuinely groundbreaking.
Of course, we can’t mention the cleverly packaged city car without acknowledging its almost identical VW up! and SEAT Mii stablemates, but only one of the trio could win our award – and the Citigo gets our vote.
Why? Well, there are two main factors that swayed our judges, and the first is price. The Citigo is cheaper than its VW Group cousins, so pound-for-pound it’s better value.
But the main reason for recommending the Skoda over the VW and SEAT is the ownership experience. The Czech brand topped the manufacturer standings in our annual Driver Power reader survey again this year, and its garages always score highly in our dealer chart. As a result, it’s hard to argue against the Citigo in a straight fight.
The Citigo recipe includes a choice of three or five doors, smart looks and clever packaging which combines a compact exterior with a deceptively spacious interior.
It can comfortably seat four adults and the refinement and performance ensure this city car is surprisingly adept over long distances. Brilliant interior quality, tidy handling and supple suspension do the rest. Small cars simply don’t come any better than this.
Our choice: 1.0 MPI 75 Elegance GreenTech
For many drivers, this is all the car they will ever need. There’s space for four, the three-cylinder engine delivers brisk performance and stop-start kit brings tax-busting emissions and tiny thirst for fuel. Elegance trim adds big car extras, including sat-nav, Bluetooth connectivity, heated seats and air-con.
Fiat is famed for its small cars – and the latest Panda is another example of its expertise. We love its Latin charm and lively character, while its stylish interior and cute looks are just what we’ve come to expect from the company’s smallest offerings.
The evergreen Hyundai i10 is still a force to be reckoned with in the city car sector but after two years at the top, it’s no longer the class leader. When it comes to value for money and kit the i10 takes some beating, though, and the tiny dimensions make it perfect for nipping through crowded city streets.
- 1IntroductionThe awards everyone wants to win are back as we name the finest models in 18 categories and crown our Car of the Year for 2012
- 2Best City Car - currently reading
- 3Best SuperminiPeugeot has rediscovered its touch. The RCZ coupe has been winning awards and turning heads for the last couple of years
- 4Best Compact Family CarIt was always going to take something special to beat the Volkswagen Golf, and the new BMW 1 Series is exactly that.
- 5Best Family Car
- 6Best Five-Seat MPVThe C-MAX has emerged from the shadow of the big-selling Ford Focus, and it deserves to take centre stage.
- 7Best Seven-Seat MPVThe SEAT Alhambra has made the MPV sector its own and after scooping the top prize last year, nothing in the past 12 months has been able to dislodge it from the top of the class
- 8Best Estate CarThe Skoda Superb Estate has scored a hat-trick of wins in the Estate Car category at our annual awards, and it’s going to take something seriously talented to knock it off the top step of the podium next time around.
- 9Best Crossover
- 10Best Compact SUV
- 11Best Large SUVIf the Discovery carries on at this rate, it will deserve an outstanding achievement award at our next New Car Awards.
- 12Best Hot HatchA fast Ford is back on top of the hot hatch pile, and having met the people behind the new Focus ST, we’re not surprised.
- 13Best ConvertibleThe best convertibles need to be as good with their roofs up as they are with them folded, and the Golf Cabriolet is exactly that.
- 14Best CoupePeugeot is back with a bang this year – although it never really went away.
- 15Best Roadster
- 16Best Pick-upWhen the Amarok arrived last year, it redefined what buyers can expect from a hard-working and durable pick-up truck.
- 17Best Compact Executive
- 18Best Executive CarThe BMW 5 Series has returned to the top of the executive class, and it’s all down to one model.
- 19Best Luxury Car
- 20Performance Car of the Year
- 21Green Award
- 22Design Award
- 23Driver Power Award
- 24Safety Award
- 25Hall of Fame
- 26Car of the Year