Volkswagen Polo review - MPG, CO2 and running costs
Frugal three-cylinder petrol engines help keep Polo running costs down
With either of the 1.0-litre TSI units forming our favourite choices from a performance perspective, the turbocharged three-cylinder options make sense when it comes to fuel economy and emissions, too.
Volkswagen claims a best of 53.9mpg (on the combined cycle) for the 94bhp version under the latest WLTP test, with CO2 emissions from 119g/km. Add the seven-speed DSG gearbox and the figures drop slightly, with maximum fuel economy of 50.6mpg and CO2 emissions of 127g/km.
Move to the 109bhp engine with its seven-speed DSG auto, and it delivers economy that's on-par with the 94bhp engine. The claimed average, on the combined cycle, is 50.2mpg with CO2 emissions from 128g/km.
The entry 79bhp model will be very cheap to insure, sneaking into group 3 on the 1-50 scale. All cars fitted with our recommended 94bhp 1.0-litre TSI engine occupy groups 9-10, with 109bhp cars stepping things up to group 12. The price for opting for the 204bhp GTI performance model is an insurance rating of group 23.
Our data suggests the refreshed 2021 Polo model should hold onto around 51 per cent of its original list price over a typical three-year/36,000-mile period of ownership. In comparison, the Vauxhall Corsa is a little behind with an average of 49 per cent retained over the same three-year period.
In this review
- 1Volkswagen Polo reviewThe Volkswagen Polo is an impressively capable supermini that offers big-car features, although it is a little pricey compared to rivals
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe Polo is safe and comfortable rather than fun on the road, but the 1.0 TSI turbo petrol is a cracker
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running Costs - currently readingFrugal three-cylinder petrol engines help keep Polo running costs down
- 4Interior, design and technologyVolkswagen has introduced subtle exterior changes for the Polo, with a stylish cabin and impressive infotainment
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceWith good boot space and plenty of room for passengers, the Polo is a practical supermini
- 6Reliability and SafetyThe VW Polo chalks up an impressive Euro NCAP score, with additional safety tech on the options list