Top 10 best movie cars of all time
We asked readers to vote on their favourite movie cars of all time and these are the results...
Cars of all shapes and sizes have played pivotal roles in all kinds of movies. They can be real cars drafted in to play a part, like the Ford Mustang from Bullitt or the Mini Coopers in The Italian Job, or a fictional creation like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. But of all of the classic and memorable cars in movies throughout the ages, which movie car is the best ever? We asked you, the Auto Express reader, and you voted in your droves.
As car fans, we can't deny that we tend to focus on the cars in any movie we watch. With another James Bond film on the horizon, finding out what 007’s wheels will be is just as important as the plot (for petrolheads at least). On the silver screen, cars have the potential to transcend the sum of their parts and become legends even if they're a bit naff in real life. That applies whether the car is simply used as a tool to get from A to B, as a hero's wheels in a thrill-a-minute car chase or as a gadget-laden time machine on wheels.
This all means that everyone has an opinion on what makes a great movie car. When we asked Auto Express readers for their opinion, almost 5,000 had their say. So what are the 10 best movie cars of all time? Check out our list right here...
Top 10 greatest movie cars of all time
- • 10. Cadillac Miller Meteor Ambulance - Ghostbusters
- • 9. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- • 8. Ford Falcon XB - Mad Max
- • 7. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love Bug
- • 6. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- • 5. Lotus Esprit S1 - The Spy Who Loved Me
- • 4. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- • 3. Mini Cooper - The Italian Job
- • 2. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future
- • 1. Aston Martin DB5 - James Bond: Goldfinger
Do you agree with the results of our poll on the best movie cars ever? Are there any other great movie cars you think should have made the cut? Leave us a comment below!
- 1Introduction - currently readingWe asked readers to vote on their favourite movie cars of all time and these are the results...
- 210. Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ambulance - GhostbustersWhen we first saw the Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance/hearse cross in Ghostbusters, it was a rusty black wreck of a thing.
- 39. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang BangNot only does Chitty Chitty Bang Bang look brilliant, but it also (spoiler alert!) flies!
- 48. Ford Falcon XB - Mad MaxIn this case, we’re talking about the star car from the original Mad Max, not Fury Road.
- 57. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love BugAs the only car on this list that has a mind of its own, the affectionately named Herbie stole millions of hearts when it was first seen on screens in 1968.
- 66. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- 75. Lotus Esprit S1 - James Bond: The Spy Who Loved MeOne of two Bond cars to make this list, the Lotus Esprit wasn’t the fastest car Bond had, or the most desirable.
- 84. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- 93. Mini Cooper - The Italian JobThe success of the Mini showed no signs of slowing down during the sixties – not only was it a fashion icon owned by celebrities, but it was cheap and practical enough to be popular with families.
- 102. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future