9. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Not only does Chitty Chitty Bang Bang look brilliant, but it also (spoiler alert!) flies!
Not only does Chitty Chitty Bang Bang look brilliant, but it also (spoiler alert!) flies! Named after the noises it makes when it coughs and splutters into life, the eponymous car spawned countless replicas over the years, one of which was famously owned by Chris Evans.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has the look of classic cars from the 1920’s, with Dick Van Dyke’s character Caractacus Potts rebuilding it using an old boat hull and even metal parts from a chimney to cover the engine.
Since it was a mish-mash of parts, it’s hard to nail down exactly what model of car Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was derived from. However, we do know that the musical film had six CCBB’s made, one of which was road legal and registered in the UK.
That car used a Ford Essex V6 that was built at the Dagenham plant and featured in the Ford Transit van of the same era. Also, Dick Van Dyke said that the car was difficult to manoeuvre and had “the turning circle of a battleship.”
When a stage show of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang came to London in 2002, the car built for it took the world record for the most expensive prop ever built for a theatre show.
Top 10 greatest movie cars of all time
- • 10. Cadillac Miller Meteor Ambulance - Ghostbusters
- • 9. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- • 8. Ford Falcon XB - Mad Max
- • 7. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love Bug
- • 6. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- • 5. Lotus Esprit S1 - The Spy Who Loved Me
- • 4. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- • 3. Mini Cooper - The Italian Job
- • 2. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future
- • 1. Aston Martin DB5 - James Bond: Goldfinger
- 1IntroductionWe asked readers to vote on their favourite movie cars of all time and these are the results...
- 210. Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ambulance - GhostbustersWhen we first saw the Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance/hearse cross in Ghostbusters, it was a rusty black wreck of a thing.
- 39. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - currently readingNot only does Chitty Chitty Bang Bang look brilliant, but it also (spoiler alert!) flies!
- 48. Ford Falcon XB - Mad MaxIn this case, we’re talking about the star car from the original Mad Max, not Fury Road.
- 57. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love BugAs the only car on this list that has a mind of its own, the affectionately named Herbie stole millions of hearts when it was first seen on screens in 1968.
- 66. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- 75. Lotus Esprit S1 - James Bond: The Spy Who Loved MeOne of two Bond cars to make this list, the Lotus Esprit wasn’t the fastest car Bond had, or the most desirable.
- 84. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- 93. Mini Cooper - The Italian JobThe success of the Mini showed no signs of slowing down during the sixties – not only was it a fashion icon owned by celebrities, but it was cheap and practical enough to be popular with families.
- 102. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future
- 111. Aston Martin DB5 - James Bond: Goldfinger