BMW 5 Series
BMW 5 Series fends off some impressive German rivals to take the executive class crown
This is a second successive Best Executive Car trophy for the big BMW, but that statistic doesn’t really tell the story of its utter domination of this category. To put it another way, were it not for the brief interruption of the new Audi A6 in 2011, the 5 Series would now be on a four-year winning streak.
What makes this car so good? It ticks boxes, that’s what. Want something imposing and prestigious? Tick. Enjoy driving and want a car that will put a smile on your face on the way home from work? Tick. Need practical family transport? Tick. Want to pay as little company car tax as possible? Big tick.
Yes, our judges think the BMW 5 Series is the automatic choice for executive saloon buyers, which is some accolade when you consider the quality of the competition from Audi, Jaguar and Mercedes. The range includes everything from the 520d, which has a tiny thirst for fuel and emits only 119g/km of CO2, to the snarling 552bhp M5 flagship that can sprint from 0-62mph in only 4.3 seconds. There really is a 5 Series for every occasion.
The 181bhp 520d is the best all-rounder, combining strong performance and refinement with excellent economy and impressive efficiency. The more powerful 530d caters for sportier tastes. We wouldn’t bet against the 5 Series making it three in a row next year, because the revised model will be in UK showrooms by then.
On this evidence, the opposition is going to have to raise its game considerably if it wants to topple the remarkable big BMW.
Our choice: 520d SE (£31,530) The car that got the 5 Series back on the podium’s top step is the 520d SE. It was the first fuel-sipping full- sized exec, and it’s still the best.
The A6 saloon is one of the finest cars Audi’s ever made. It won our top executive prize in 2011, and is still a contender, thanks to its excellent engines and peerless cabin quality.
Say hello to the executive saloon with the most desirable looks and image. With its prestige badge, exquisite lines, opulent cabin and choice of potent engines, the CLS is the ultimate executive head turner.
- 1Introduction18 class winners, 36 commended cars, 8 Special Awards and the 2013 Auto Express Car of the Year – it's all here
- 2Car of the YearThe most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
- 3Best City CarThe Skoda Citigo retains its Best City Car crown thanks to a combination of comfort, low running costs and superb on-road ability
- 4Best SuperminiThe Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
- 5Best Compact Family CarThe SEAT Leon fights off its fellow VW Group rivals to take the gold medal in one of the most competitive classes around
- 6Best Family CarThe new Mazda 6 sees of all-comers to take family car class honours
- 7Best Estate CarOffering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
- 8Best Five-Seat MPVFord's innovative small MPV pips its big brother – the C-MAX – to the Best Five-seat MPV award
- 9Best MPVFor the third year in a row, the SEAT Alhambra wins the Auto Express Best MPV award
- 10Best CrossoverThe Mazda CX-5 is a talented all-rounder that offers everything you could want from a crossover
- 11Best Compact SUVThe Range Rover Evoque is one of the most striking cars on the road – but it's also more than just a pretty face
- 12Best Large SUVThe talented Santa Fe is one of the best models Hyundai has ever produced
- 13Best Hot HatchThe Ford Fiesta ST is in a class of its own – and better value for money than its key rivals
- 14Best CoupeThe brilliant Porsche Cayman pips its big brother - the 911 – and three-time winner the Peugeot RCZ to the Best Coupe prize
- 15Best RoadsterThe new Porsche Boxster is so good it makes you question why anyone would every buy a 911
- 16Best ConvertibleWith funky looks, premium quality and low running costs – frivolity has never been so sensible. Or so desirable
- 17Best Pick-upWith decent handling, comfort levels and build quality, the VW Amarok is a cut above its rivals
- 18Best Compact Executive CarThe 3 Series continues its undisputed reign as king of the compact executive class
- 19Best Executive Car - currently readingBMW 5 Series fends off some impressive German rivals to take the executive class crown
- 20Best Luxury CarAs a 4x4, an SUV and a luxury car, the Range Rover is jack of all trades. But it's a master of all trades, too
- 21Performance Car of the YearThe entertaining GT 86 outguns a host of big-name sports cars to take Performance Car of the Year
- 22Design Award The latest incarnation of the iconic Range Rover is voted by Auto Express readers as the best designed car of 2013
- 23Green AwardThe Vauxhall Ampera's innovative range-extending powertrain wins it our Green Award
- 24Van of the YearOur Van of the Year is hi-tech, practical and the first van in its class to get a five-star crash test rating
- 25Safety AwardThe Volvo V40 is probably the safest car ever made, and a worthy winner of our Safety Award
- 26Driver Power AwardThe Japanese premium brand has reclaimed its Driver Power top spot for the first time in four years
- 27Hall of FameBMW board member inducted into the Auto Express Hall of Fame