10. Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ambulance - Ghostbusters
When we first saw the Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance/hearse cross in Ghostbusters, it was a rusty black wreck of a thing.
When we first saw the Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance/hearse cross in Ghostbusters, it was a rusty black wreck of a thing. However, after Ray did extensive repairs on it, it gained the nickname ‘Ecto 1’ and became a symbol of the Ghostbusters crew.
Capable of carrying all of the kit Ghostbusters Peter, Ray, Egon and Winston needed to do their job properly, Ecto 1 is one of the most memorable components of the Ghostbusters movies.
Miller-Meteor was a coachbuilding firm set up in the 1950’s in the US, specifically to build and modify ‘professional vehicles’. It specialised in Cadillac, building cars like the ambulance and hearse models based on the Cadillac de Ville and Eldorado series cars. Not many ambulance models were actually built, as laws in the US came into force in the early 1970’s that restricted passenger cars being used as emergency medical vehicles.
Although Ecto-1 was based on the Cadillac ‘professional chassis’, the car had clear design cues from the wild finned Caddy passenger cars like the Eldorado. The bulging chrome foglamps, long creased bonnet and concealed rear wheels gave the Eldorado (and Ecto 1) an iconic design and one of the most memorable shapes in motoring history. The shape and design of the car never changed throughout the Ghostbusters franchise, although the upcoming all-female reboot of Ghostbusters uses a newer Cadillac Brougham hearse as Ecto-1 instead.
Top 10 greatest movie cars of all time
- 10. Cadillac Miller Meteor Ambulance - Ghostbusters
- 9. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- 8. Ford Falcon XB - Mad Max
- 7. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love Bug
- 6. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- 5. Lotus Esprit S1 - The Spy Who Loved Me
- 4. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- 3. Mini Cooper - The Italian Job
- 2. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future
- 1. Aston Martin DB5 - James Bond: Goldfinger
- 1IntroductionWe asked readers to vote on their favourite movie cars of all time and these are the results...
- 210. Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ambulance - Ghostbusters - currently readingWhen we first saw the Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance/hearse cross in Ghostbusters, it was a rusty black wreck of a thing.
- 39. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang BangNot only does Chitty Chitty Bang Bang look brilliant, but it also (spoiler alert!) flies!
- 48. Ford Falcon XB - Mad MaxIn this case, we’re talking about the star car from the original Mad Max, not Fury Road.
- 57. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love BugAs the only car on this list that has a mind of its own, the affectionately named Herbie stole millions of hearts when it was first seen on screens in 1968.
- 66. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- 75. Lotus Esprit S1 - James Bond: The Spy Who Loved MeOne of two Bond cars to make this list, the Lotus Esprit wasn’t the fastest car Bond had, or the most desirable.
- 84. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- 93. Mini Cooper - The Italian JobThe success of the Mini showed no signs of slowing down during the sixties – not only was it a fashion icon owned by celebrities, but it was cheap and practical enough to be popular with families.
- 102. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future
- 111. Aston Martin DB5 - James Bond: Goldfinger