2012 New Car Championship
We name the best new cars of 2012, with 72 contenders for Gold, Silver and Bronze
On your marks, get set... go! As Great Britain prepares to host the most famous sporting event in the world, we have decided to celebrate.
To commemorate the 2012 London Olympics, we have conducted our own New Car Championship, where we name the best cars in 12 popular sectors.
In each category we tell you which models deserve to stand on the top step of the winner’s rostrum, and we also award silver and bronze medals. We even highlight the cars that didn’t quite make the podium.
And to ensure you don’t sink your hard-earned cash into an also-ran, we tell you which models fail to make it out of the starting blocks altogether.
So, if your current car is about to throw in the towel, our 25-page guide will help make sure its replacement is a genuine contender...
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingWe name the best new cars of 2012, with 72 contenders for Gold, Silver and Bronze
- 2Best city carsThis is one of the most hotly contested classes out there, and the fierce competition has produced some extremely capable cars...
- 3Best superminisPracticality, affordability, efficiency, style and fun – these best-selling cars have to offer it all. So which ones do the best job?
- 4Best small family carsHard-fought class has a vast range of new hopefuls – but an all-time classic takes gold
- 5Best large family carsLots of space, low running costs and a dash of style are needed to win this category
- 6Best estate carsBig is beautiful for estate buyers – but big has to be clever, too, in a category where all-round practicality is essential
- 7Best executivesAll of our contenders gain points for style, but class is permanent – and BMW is the big winner with updates to its timeless 3 Series
- 8Best crossoversThey’re the gymnasts of the car market – flexible, muscular and versatile. That’s why this is one of the hardest gold medals to win
- 9Best compact SUVsGenuine mud-plugging ability meets comfort, refinement and efficiency in this fast-growing and increasingly competitive class
- 10Best large SUVsThese big cars make a big impression – but which off-road star is the class of our Championship field?
- 11Best roadstersFeel the wind in your hair and wear a smile on your face with these great-handling, stylish and quick drop-top sports cars
- 12Best MPVsExcellent carrying ability alone isn’t enough for the latest people movers. The best buys do it in style
- 13Best hot hatchesOn your marks, get set, go... These small cars all have pace, but it will take something special to outsprint VW’s reigning champ