Built between: 2001 to date, number sold: 360,405 to date, cool cat rating: 2/5
Surprised to see an X-Type in our line-up? Don’t be. While it’s not a big fans’ favourite, it marked several milestones for the brand. Not only was it the first Jaguar to be fitted with a diesel engine, the 2004 wagon was the manufacturer’s first production estate car, and the X-Type remains the only all-wheel-drive Jaguar ever made.
This model was designed to conquer the compact executive market, dominated by the BMW 3-Series, Mercedes C-Class and Audi A4. It was developed in record time – two years from board approval to production – and built away from Jaguar’s Midlands heartland at owner Ford’s Halewood plant on Merseyside. This, and the fact it shared some of its underpinnings with Ford’s Mondeo, got purists hot under the collar.
But the twin-headlamp design and rounded lines were a nod towards classic Jaguar styling. And under the skin, engineers worked hard to make sure there was a hint of the refinement and driver involvement you would expect.
Early models featured four-wheel drive, and there was a choice of 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0-litre V6 engines. Later 2.0-litre petrol and diesel cars were – to the horror of traditionalists – front-driven, but the 2.2-litre diesel launched in 2003 was arguably the best of the bunch.
While the X-Type didn’t succeed in making Jag a compact exec class force, it brought thousands of new customers to the brand. Plus, as the second best-selling big cat of all-time, it helped the firm survive to produce today’s stunning new models.
WHY: brand increased its mass appeal with compact exec.
In this review
- 1IntroductionThe coolest cats of all-time go head-to-head in a unique shoot-out!
- 2Jaguar XJ (new)Built: 2009 on, number sold: not on sale yet, cool cat factor: wait and see!
- 3Jaguar XKBuilt between: 2006 to date, number sold: 124,382 to date, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 4Jaguar XFBuilt: 2009 to date, number sold: 56,149 to date, cool cat rating: 4/5
- 5Jaguar X-Type - currently readingBuilt between: 2001 to date, number sold: 360,405 to date, cool cat rating: 2/5
- 6Jaguar XJ (X350)Built: 2003-09, number sold: 295,365 to date, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 7Jaguar XK8Built between: 1996-2004, number sold: 84,958, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 8Jaguar XJ (X300)Built between: 1994-1997, number sold: 92,038, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 9Jaguar XJ220Built between: 1992-94, number sold: 277, cool cat rating: 4/5
- 10Jaguar XJ (XJ40)Built between: 1986-1994, number sold: 208,000, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 11Jaguar XJSBuilt between: 1975-1996, number sold: 115,413, cool cat rating: 4/5
- 12Jaguar XJ6Built between: 1968-73, number sold: 98,527, cool cat rating: 5/5
- 13Jaguar E-TypeBuilt: 1961-75, number sold: 13,490, cool cat factor: 5/5
- 14Jaguar XJ13Built: 1966, number built: 1, cool cat rating: 4/5
- 15Jaguar MkIIBuilt between: 1959-1967, number sold: 83,976, cool cat rating: 5/5
- 16Jaguar XK150Built between: 1957-1961, number sold: 9,385, cool cat rating: 4/5
- 17Jaguar MkI saloonBuilt between: 1955-1959, number sold: 37,397, cool cat factor: 5/5
- 18Jaguar D-TypeBuilt between: 1955-1956, number sold: 87, cool cat factor: 5/5
- 19Jaguar C-TypeBuilt between: 1950-53, number produced: 54, cool cut rating: 5/5
- 20Jaguar XK120Built: 1948-54, number sold: 12,064, cool cat rating: 5/5
- 21Jaguar SS100Built between: 1935-1939, number sold: 309, cool cat factor: 5/5
- 22Jaguar SS1 AirlineBuilt between: 1934-1936, Number sold: 624, cool cat rating: 4/5