Jaguar XJ (new)
Built: 2009 on, number sold: not on sale yet, cool cat factor: wait and see!
You only have to look at the string of XJs, and the evocative saloons that preceded them, to see how important the all-new version is to the firm. Joining the brilliant XK and XF in showrooms, it represents the final piece in the Jaguar jigsaw.
We’ve been lucky enough to have a ride in one already, but we’ll have to wait until early next year to get behind the wheel for ourselves. Even so, only a brief glimpse of the new model is enough to whet the appetite. Ian Callum has overseen a revolution at the brand, and the new XJ is his most distinctive piece of car design yet.
The saloon’s pronounced snout, wraparound-style rear windscreen and full-length panoramic sunroof – fitted across the line-up – bring the XJ concept bang up-to-date. Fans of the XF will probably love the bigger car’s distinctive face and controversial tail-lights, and to our eyes the new Jaguar looks even better on the road among other traffic than it does in our pictures.
Power comes from a choice of three potent engines. Normally aspirated and supercharged versions of the V8 petrol will be joined by the same 3.0-litre V6 diesel used in the XF, so with such a great range, it will be able to fight its German rivals on a level playing field. Prices are set to kick off at £55,900 and rise to £88,000 for the flagship version of the long-wheelbase model. With the promise of lavish comfort and luxury, plus creamy smooth power delivery, the newcomer has every chance of living up to the legend of its long line of predecessors.
Will it go on to become one of the all-time great Jaguars? Only time will tell, but with the evidence available so far, we wouldn’t bet against it…
WHY: Modern makeover for famous model is among boldest cats of all-time.
In this review
- 1IntroductionThe coolest cats of all-time go head-to-head in a unique shoot-out!
- 2Jaguar XJ (new) - currently readingBuilt: 2009 on, number sold: not on sale yet, cool cat factor: wait and see!
- 3Jaguar XKBuilt between: 2006 to date, number sold: 124,382 to date, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 4Jaguar XFBuilt: 2009 to date, number sold: 56,149 to date, cool cat rating: 4/5
- 5Jaguar X-TypeBuilt between: 2001 to date, number sold: 360,405 to date, cool cat rating: 2/5
- 6Jaguar XJ (X350)Built: 2003-09, number sold: 295,365 to date, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 7Jaguar XK8Built between: 1996-2004, number sold: 84,958, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 8Jaguar XJ (X300)Built between: 1994-1997, number sold: 92,038, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 9Jaguar XJ220Built between: 1992-94, number sold: 277, cool cat rating: 4/5
- 10Jaguar XJ (XJ40)Built between: 1986-1994, number sold: 208,000, cool cat rating: 3/5