Built: 2009 to date, number sold: 56,149 to date, cool cat rating: 4/5
If you want evidence that Jaguar is on the verge of greatness again, look no further. A previous Auto Express Car of the Year, the XF is an outstanding executive saloon. Displaying the sort of bold design and attention to detail company founder Sir William Lyons would appreciate, the XF has set the standard for future saloons.
It replaces the S-Type, which traded on its retro looks. In contrast, rather than rely on classic-but-safe styling, the XF marks a return to the beautiful and adventurous designs of the Mk1 saloon and the XK120.
Inside, the stunning cabin blends gorgeous mood lighting, modern switchgear and an attractive dashboard to provide a high-class and welcoming environment. And on the road, the XF achieves the holy grail of luxury saloons – a near perfect balance between sharp handling and relaxed comfort.
The smooth 3.0-diesel is likely to become the most popular choice. However, the supercharged petrol XFR proves that, in the spirit of the 3.8-litre MkII, Jaguar hasn’t forgotten how to make fast, powerful and composed sports saloons.
The fact the XFR delivers this performance without sacrificing comfort and refinement makes it an even more attractive proposition. The ultimate wolf in sheep’s clothing, the hot R finished in the top 10 shortlist of our 2009 Performance Car of the Year for good reason – it’s the one of the best saloon cars that money can buy.
WHY: Stunning saloon blends refinement and performance.
In this review
- 1IntroductionThe coolest cats of all-time go head-to-head in a unique shoot-out!
- 2Jaguar XJ (new)Built: 2009 on, number sold: not on sale yet, cool cat factor: wait and see!
- 3Jaguar XKBuilt between: 2006 to date, number sold: 124,382 to date, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 4Jaguar XF - currently readingBuilt: 2009 to date, number sold: 56,149 to date, cool cat rating: 4/5
- 5Jaguar X-TypeBuilt between: 2001 to date, number sold: 360,405 to date, cool cat rating: 2/5
- 6Jaguar XJ (X350)Built: 2003-09, number sold: 295,365 to date, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 7Jaguar XK8Built between: 1996-2004, number sold: 84,958, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 8Jaguar XJ (X300)Built between: 1994-1997, number sold: 92,038, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 9Jaguar XJ220Built between: 1992-94, number sold: 277, cool cat rating: 4/5
- 10Jaguar XJ (XJ40)Built between: 1986-1994, number sold: 208,000, cool cat rating: 3/5
- 11Jaguar XJSBuilt between: 1975-1996, number sold: 115,413, cool cat rating: 4/5
- 12Jaguar XJ6Built between: 1968-73, number sold: 98,527, cool cat rating: 5/5
- 13Jaguar E-TypeBuilt: 1961-75, number sold: 13,490, cool cat factor: 5/5
- 14Jaguar XJ13Built: 1966, number built: 1, cool cat rating: 4/5
- 15Jaguar MkIIBuilt between: 1959-1967, number sold: 83,976, cool cat rating: 5/5