Hyundai i30 N - Best track day cars
It was not that long ago that Hyundai was knocking out dreary model after dreary model reserved for people who’s idea of excitement is a homemade Weetabix smoothie
It was not that long ago that Hyundai was knocking out dreary model after dreary model reserved for people who’s idea of excitement is a homemade Weetabix smoothie. But in 2017 the Korean marque revealed the i30 N, a hot hatch which is a genuinely enticing (and Weetabix free) proposition.
The i30 N is based on the standard car, but much in the same way you or I are based on the same platform of Usain Bolt, as the N has been engineered for performance. Underneath the bonnet there is a 2.0-litre 4 cylinder turbo which produces 247bhp or 271bhp if you opt for the Performance Package.
From a standstill you will reach 62mph in 6.4 seconds, but straight line speed is not where the hot Hyundai earns its keep. Show it a few corners and it comes alive, with the sports suspension working to keep traction at all times.
On the inside, there is a cabin you could live with every day. Which isn’t terribly surprising as it is remarkably similar to the standard car’s. However, what the standard car does not have is the wide variety of settings you can use to fine tune the i30 N to suit your driving style, there’s even a ‘track only’ N mode.
Best track day cars 2019
- 1IntroductionWhether you're looking to shave tenths off your lap time, or simply want to have some fun, these are the UK's best track cars
- 21. Porsche 911 GT3 RSThere is no denying that our favourite track day car is one for the more wealthy track day drivers, but the stunningly engineered Porsche 911 GT3 RS is worth every penny.
- 32. Caterham SevenThe Caterham Seven allows you to enjoy the simple pleasures of driving.
- 43. Ferrari 488 PistaFerrari makes the 488 more exciting by removing weight and adding power
- 54. McLaren SennaIf you name a car after one of the greatest racing drivers that ever lived, it had better be good. And the Senna is
- 65. Lamborghini Huracan PerformanteAt nearly twice the price of the Porsche 911 GT3 you would expect the Huracan Performante to offer an incredible driving experience, and on many levels it does.
- 76. McLaren 570S Track PackThe McLaren 570S Track Pack gets a range of add-ons designed to deliver the ultimate performance on track.
- 87. Porsche Cayman GTS Sublime handling balance, communicative controls and a stunning engine, the Cayman GTS is a car you’ll want to lap around a track all day.
- 98. Honda Civic Type RAs many petrolheads are aware, Honda has a history of making VTEC performance engines that deliver their best hit of power at the top end of the rev range.
- 109. Hyundai i30 N - currently readingIt was not that long ago that Hyundai was knocking out dreary model after dreary model reserved for people who’s idea of excitement is a homemade Weetabix smoothie
- 1110. Ariel AtomPowered by a mid-mounted Honda Civic engine, the Atom feels like a big go-kart due to its exposed skeletal chassis.