Car of the Year 2014
The British-built MINI is Auto Express' Car of the Year 2014
It’s been a British institution for nearly six decades, but this is the first time it has lifted the coveted Auto Express Car of the Year award. The MINI is now in its third generation since its rebirth as a classy premium supermini in 2001, and it’s better than ever.
Like its predecessors, the new car has the cheeky looks, classy cabin and fun driving experience we’ve come to expect. But it combines this with a new found sophistication and an array of gadgets aimed at making you safer and more comfortable.
By taking advantage of the extensive technological know-how of parent firm BMW, MINI has been able give its baby a grown-up feel that’s unrivalled in the supermini class. For the first time ever, the British machine boasts the sort of comfort and refinement that makes light work of long motorway marathons. And the optional adaptive dampers smooth out bumps that would have sent shockwaves through the old car.
Then there’s the huge array of safety aids – normally reserved for executive models that cost thousands more. A head-up display, forward collision alert and adaptive cruise control are all available. Happily, none of these additions comes at the expense of the MINI’s appetite for entertainment – this is a car that constantly encourages you to seek out the long way home.
Take a look at the line-up and you’ll find there’s a MINI to suit all tastes and budgets, from the entry-level One through to the fuel-sipping Cooper D and the rapid Cooper S. And as always, the almost endless list of personalisation options means you can create a MINI that’s unique to you.
The bad news for rivals is that this is just the beginning for the iconic brand. MINI is planning a wave of spin-off models, including a practical five-door that makes its debut later this year. So don’t be surprised if the MINI success story rolls on into 2015.
- 1IntroductionWe reveal the best new cars on sale today in every sector of the market, plus we name our overall 2014 Car of the Year
- 2Car of the Year 2014 - currently readingThe British-built MINI is Auto Express' Car of the Year 2014
- 3City Car of the YearThe Skoda Citigo is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Toyota Aygo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2014 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Dacia Sandero and Peugeot 208 commended
- 5Premium Small Car of the YearThe MINI is the 2014 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Small Family Car of the Year The SEAT Leon is the 2014 Auto Express Small Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Volkswagen Golf commended
- 7Family Car of the Year The Mazda 6 is the 2014 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Vauxhall Insignia commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year The SEAT Leon ST is the 2014 Auto Express Estate of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2014 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Picasso and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year The Nissan Qashqai is the 2014 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-5 commended