2. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future
As a car, the DeLorean DMC-12 was heavily flawed. It was underpowered, mediocre to drive and had a mish-mash of mechanical parts from different manufacturers. Even DeLorean itself didn’t have much luck – the factory they built in Dunmurry, Northern Ireland, was a year behind schedule and a large amount of the workforce they hired had never built cars before. That meant that orders took longer to fulfil, and the cars that were being built had to be checked by quality controllers when they were shipped to the US.
Despite all of this, the car looked incredibly cool. The stainless steel bodywork, wedge shape and gullwing doors cemented it as an icon, as did its starring role in the Back to the Future franchise.
In Back to the Future, Doc and Marty used the DeLorean as a time machine to travel back and forward through time, famously having to accelerate to 88mph to activate the ‘flux capacitor’. The car was (naturally) heavily modified to cope with time travel, but reliability problems still persisted in the film so that much was true to life. Even so, the DeLorean is an undoubted classic movie car and one that everyone always remembers.
In case you missed it, Consumer Editor, Joe Finnerty, drove the iconic car to celebrate Back to the Future Day on October 21, 2015.
Top 10 greatest movie cars of all time
- • 10. Cadillac Miller Meteor Ambulance - Ghostbusters
- • 9. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- • 8. Ford Falcon XB - Mad Max
- • 7. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love Bug
- • 6. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- • 5. Lotus Esprit S1 - The Spy Who Loved Me
- • 4. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- • 3. Mini Cooper - The Italian Job
- • 2. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future
- • 1. Aston Martin DB5 - James Bond: Goldfinger
- 1IntroductionWe asked readers to vote on their favourite movie cars of all time and these are the results...
- 210. Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ambulance - GhostbustersWhen we first saw the Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance/hearse cross in Ghostbusters, it was a rusty black wreck of a thing.
- 39. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang BangNot only does Chitty Chitty Bang Bang look brilliant, but it also (spoiler alert!) flies!
- 48. Ford Falcon XB - Mad MaxIn this case, we’re talking about the star car from the original Mad Max, not Fury Road.
- 57. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love BugAs the only car on this list that has a mind of its own, the affectionately named Herbie stole millions of hearts when it was first seen on screens in 1968.
- 66. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- 75. Lotus Esprit S1 - James Bond: The Spy Who Loved MeOne of two Bond cars to make this list, the Lotus Esprit wasn’t the fastest car Bond had, or the most desirable.
- 84. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- 93. Mini Cooper - The Italian JobThe success of the Mini showed no signs of slowing down during the sixties – not only was it a fashion icon owned by celebrities, but it was cheap and practical enough to be popular with families.
- 102. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future - currently reading