BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer - best people carriers and MPVs
Good-looking, great to drive and luxuriously equipped, the 2 Series Gran Tourer is a worthy first MPV from BMW
The 2 Series Gran Tourer marked a lot of firsts for BMW. The brand’s first seven-seat MPV, the first front-wheel-drive BMW, and the first time those with large families could buy a BMW with the head rather than just the heart.
BMW may have garnered most fame for its rear-wheel drive cars, which make up the bulk of its range. But it’s easy to forget how much experience the German manufacturer has with front wheel drive cars too – it’s been producing the MINI since 2001. Some of that car’s character can be found in the 2 Series Gran Tourer – unsurprisingly, as much of the front end including the engines are the same as on the MINI.
Engines include some excellent three-cylinder petrols but BMW say the diesels make up the bulk of the sales. Most people purchasing a BMW wouldn’t want a slow one, which is why the two most powerful diesels are the best-sellers in the range – though they’re still not exactly hot hatchback levels of quick.
The Gran Tourer is luxuriously trimmed inside, as you’d expect from a premium marque like BMW, and trim levels range from SE through Sport and Luxury to sporty M Sport. All are generously equipped, but options are expensive.
The 2 Series Gran Tourer isn’t the most spacious MPV, but if you want something more premium than the regular offerings, it’s a fine choice.
Best people carriers and MPVs
- 1IntroductionHere are the 10 best MPVs and people carriers to buy this year – all loaded with family-friendly features and lots of space
- 21. Citroen Berlingo MultispaceIt's not the most stylish, but the Citroen Berlingo Multispace offers van-like practicality and good value
- 32. Citroen C4 SpaceTourer/Grand C4 SpaceTourerThe Citroen C4 SpaceTourer offers great fuel economy, a practical interior and a hefty dose of style
- 43. Renault Grand ScenicA total redesign has turned the Renault Grand Scenic from a dowdy family bus into a stylish MPV with a crossover vibe
- 54. Ford S-MAXBased on the Mondeo, Ford’s seven-seater is still the best MPV to drive, and it’s impressively practical, too
- 65. Kia CarensKia's Carens MPV won't set the world alight with its design, but it makes a sound buy thanks to strong economy and a class leading warranty
- 76. Vauxhall Zafira TourerBigger and better-looking than its predecessor, the Zafira Tourer is a great option for comfortable family transport
- 87. Ford C-MAX/Grand C-MAXOne of the finest handling small MPVs on sale, the C-MAX is also impressively practical and available with five or seven seats
- 98. BMW 2 Series Active Tourer/Gran Tourer - currently readingGood-looking, great to drive and luxuriously equipped, the 2 Series Gran Tourer is a worthy first MPV from BMW
- 109. Ford Tourneo ConnectA van-based MPV that drives like a car, the Ford Tourneo Connect isn’t as refined as the competition, but it’s practical and well priced
- 1110. SEAT AlhambraThe SEAT Alhambra is mechanically identical to the classy and spacious VW Sharan, but cheaper