BMW 2 Series Convertible review - MPG, CO2 and Running Costs
Wide engine range means you'll likely find something that suits - there's even a three-cylinder petrol
The 2 Series Cabrio isn’t a cheap car to buy, with prices starting from around £27,500 for the entry-level 218i SE model and rising to nearly £40,000 for the range-topping M240i. However, running costs shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
Even the high-performance M240i claims an average of 34mpg – pretty impressive in a car that will get from 0-62mph in 5.0 seconds. The diesel claims over 60mpg, with low CO2 figures of 118g/km for the automatic, making it a tempting company car choice.
Private buyers should always take advantage of BMW’s pre-paid annual servicing packs when they buy their cars – it makes servicing at BMW main dealers much more affordable.
Despite being a convertible, choosing the 2 Series drop-top shouldn't make much difference to your insurance premiums. Ratings start at group 21 for the 218i (just one group higher than the Coupe), and top out at group 32 for a 225d. An M240i will cost more, naturally.
The BMW 2 Series fares pretty well when it comes to depreciation, holding on to as much as 52 per cent of its value after three years or 30,000 miles. The 220d M Sport is the most desirable model on the second-hand market, while 220i buyers will lose the most money when the time comes to sell.
In this review
- 1VerdictBMW 2 Series convertible replaced the old 1 Series soft-top with more pace, efficiency and style
- 2Engines, performance and driveFun to drive and with a strong engine range
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running Costs - currently readingWide engine range means you'll likely find something that suits - there's even a three-cylinder petrol
- 4Interior, design and technologyBMW's styling is handsome, if not very adventurous, while interior is well built and full of tech
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceFolding roof means boot space is limited, while rear seats are very small
- 6Reliability and SafetyCustomer survey shows it'll be decent, if not better