Hyundai Ioniq PHEV - best plug-in hybrid cars
The Ioniq is available as a conventional hybrid, a plug-in hybrid and an all out electric vehicle. But the plug-in is the best all-rounder
Thanks to its mixture of automatic transmission, electric assistance and ample power, the Hyundai Ioniq PHEV is a fantastic everyday car. The hybrid powertrain is made up of a 1.6-litre four-cylinder petrol, combined with an electric motor which results in a collective output of 139bhp.
During town driving the electric motor comes into its own and results in quiet and refined journeys. The cost of running the Ioniq should be low, thanks in part to the possible all-electric range which Hyundai states to be 39 miles and a combined economy of 256mpg.
The Ioniq is practical too, offering drivers 341 litres of boot space and a good mix of useful tech. There are just two trim levels on offer, but even the entry level with keyless entry, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and wireless phone charging. If you factor in value for money, the Ioniq PHEV is one of the best mainstream hybrid cars on the road.
Top 10 best plug-in hybrids to buy now
- 1IntroductionThe plug-in hybrid market has grown exponentially in recent years. Here are our top 10 electrified favourites.
- 2Mercedes E 300 deThe Mercedes E 300 de offers a familiar yet cost-effective alternative to mainstream company cars.
- 3Hyundai Ioniq PHEV - currently readingThe Ioniq is available as a conventional hybrid, a plug-in hybrid and an all out electric vehicle. But the plug-in is the best all-rounder
- 4BMW 530eThe BMW 530e will be cheaper to run than a regular 5 Series but it crucially doesn’t sacrifice driver engagement
- 5Volvo XC60 T8We gave the regular Volvo XC60 a five-star review so the plug-in hybrid T8 version has a great foundation for success
- 6Mercedes E 300 eThe plug-in hybrid Mercedes E 300 e emphasises all the great hallmarks of the regular E-Class with little drawbacks.
- 7Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid The latest Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid is a great all-rounder and is hard to fault in any single area.
- 8Kia Niro PHEVThe Niro PHEV isn’t the most interesting car to drive, but it’s easy to live with and there’s decent space on offer.
- 9Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVThe first plug-in SUV proved the formula worked, and boosted sales for the range
- 10Toyota PriusThe latest Toyota Prius is the best yet, and the same goes for the plug-in hybrid version
- 11Range Rover P400eThe Range Rover P400e turns out to be a successful first attempt at a plug-in hybrid from Land Rover.