LDV V80 - best large panel vans
Revived LDV Maxus offers big-van space with a small-van price tag
The LDV V80 has one thing on its side - the sheer value for money that it offers. No other van can deliver as much space for the price, because while it's the size of a large van, the price tag is in line with the small van sector.
If the V80 looks familiar - and we're not just talking about the passing resemblance to the previous generation Ford Transit - that's because it's essentially the LDV Maxus that went out of production in 2009. When LDV went out of business, the assets were bought by Chines firm SAIC, which launched its own version of the Maxus in China in 2011.
With its return to the UK, the Maxxus/V80 offers cut-price load carrying, but it's clear that you get what you pay for. While the load area ranges from 6.9-11.4 cubic metres whether you choose Low Roof SWB, Medium Roof LWB or High Roof LWB versions, the cab is where the van really shows its age: The design is similar to the Maxxus that went off sale over a decade ago.
Under the bonnet is a VM Motori diesel with around 138bhp on offer. It's a noisy unit that uses a clunky manual gearbox. If you're doing short runs, then the all-electric EV80 might be a better bet. This will be a lot smoother thanks to its quiet electric motor and direct drive, while a claimed range of 120 miles is good for a day's work. Even better is the fact that both diesel and EV versions come in panel van, chassis cab and minibus versions, all at knock-down prices, but with a five-year warranty.
Best large panel vans 2019
- 1IntroductionWe run down the big vans for sale in the UK to help you choose the right one for your job
- 21. Mercedes SprinterA famous name in the panel van sector, the Mercedes Sprinter majors in heavy-duty toughness and is popular with high mileage operators.
- 32. Volkswagen CrafterThe Volkswagen Crafter brings VW Group technology and quality to the panel van sector
- 43. MAN TGEWith the same tech as the VW Crafter, the TGE is an appealing large van
- 54. Ford TransitFamously described by Ford as the ‘backbone of Britain’, that’s not too far from the truth about the Transit
- 65. Renault Master/Nissan NV400A platform sharing partnership means you can choose your badge on this big van with a practical cabin
- 76. Vauxhall MovanoThe Movano offers huge space and the latest touchscreen tech from the Vauxhall car range
- 87. Citroen Relay/Peugeot BoxerNo-nonsense panel vans offer plenty of space and even electric drive
- 98. Fiat DucatoThere's more to the Ducato than just a tech-sharing partnership with Peugeot/Citroen
- 109. Iveco DailyThe Iveco Daily is a great choice for van operators who need a heavy duty vehicle and the support of Iveco’s HGV dealer network
- 1110. LDV V80 - currently readingRevived LDV Maxus offers big-van space with a small-van price tag