McLaren Senna - best hypercars
It's not the most powerful car in our list, but light weight and advanced aerodynamics put the Senna in the hyper club
With an illustrious Formula One heritage, McLaren knows a thing or two about producing cars that offer extreme performance. And while the Senna doesn't have the ultimate power output or a hi-tech four-wheel drive system like some of our hypercar top 10, it still has the ability to run rings around most of the other cars on the list.
It's devoid of the hybrid trickery of the earlier McLaren P1, too, but it has a shape that's formed out of function, as its awkward lines are designed to cut through the air like no other road car. Lightweight carbon fibre construction throughout also means the weight is kept down to around 1,200kg, giving very little mass for the 789bhp, 800Nm 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 to work against. That means it's capable of 0-62mph in 2.8 seconds, and can manage 0-124mph in 6.8 seconds on a closed road.
But then the chassis is designed to deliver searing cornering performance, and the adaptive suspension can be set up to make the Senna corner like no other road-registered car on sale today. It does justice to the F1 legend's name, and is a worthy flagship until McLaren's next supercar, the Speedtail, arrives later this year.
One area where the Senna is on a par with its hypercar brethren is price: at £750,000, it's a track car that only the super-rich can afford.
Best hypercars 2019
- 1IntroductionThey're the pinnacle of engineering, but what goes into the greatest hypercars ever built? Our top 10 reveals all
- 21. McLaren F1The car that created the hypercar class, the McLaren F1 remains a hard act to beat
- 32. Bugatti ChironHow to you follow the Bugatti Veyron? With the Bugatti Chiron of course
- 43. Mercedes-AMG Project ONEMercedes are one of very few companies who could, if they wanted make an F1 car for the road. Luckily, they very much do want to...
- 54. McLaren Senna - currently readingIt's not the most powerful car in our list, but light weight and advanced aerodynamics put the Senna in the hyper club
- 65. Koenigsegg Agera RSSwedish hypercar brand Koenigsegg does things its own way and it's own way is very, very fast
- 76. Pagani Huayra BCPagani's latest hypercar show-stopper mixes incredible looks with savage performance
- 87. Porsche 918 SpyderA technological feast with awesome performance, the 918 Spyder was even cheap by hypercar standards at 'only' £650k
- 98. Ferrari LaFerrariFerrari's most extreme machine to date, the LaFerrari brings F1 performance to the road
- 109. Aston Martin ValkyrieAston Martin and Red Bull Racing have teamed up to produce a 6.5-litre V12 F1 inspired car for the road. No, you are not dreaming
- 1110. Bugatti VeyronThe mind-blowing Bugatti Veyron set new standards for price, performance and luxury when it arrived back in 2005