Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - best plug-in hybrid cars
The first plug-in SUV proved the formula worked, and boosted sales for the range
The Outlander PHEV set the template for the plug-in hybrid SUV. Its large dimensions mean there's room for the hybrid running gear without compromising passenger space as a five-seater, while integrating the petrol engine and electric motor mean it's far more refined than the diesel Outlander.
As the Outlander PHEV was first to the party, its blend of low running costs, space and cheap company car tax rates meant it boosted Outlander sales beyond expectation. But now rival manufacturers are cottoning on to the appeal of plug-in hybrids, and the Outlander PHEV's star is beginning to wane as a result.
While all models are well equipped, build quality isn't quite on a par with the best in the class. However, keep it plugged in every time you charge it, and the Outlander PHEV will deliver miles of trouble-free electric running, so you'll barely ever need to visit a filling station.
Top 10 best plug-in hybrids to buy now
- 1IntroductionThe plug-in hybrid market has grown exponentially in recent years. Here are our top 10 electrified favourites.
- 2Mercedes E 300 deThe Mercedes E 300 de offers a familiar yet cost-effective alternative to mainstream company cars.
- 3Hyundai Ioniq PHEVThe Ioniq is available as a conventional hybrid, a plug-in hybrid and an all out electric vehicle. But the plug-in is the best all-rounder
- 4BMW 530eThe BMW 530e will be cheaper to run than a regular 5 Series but it crucially doesn’t sacrifice driver engagement
- 5Volvo XC60 T8We gave the regular Volvo XC60 a five-star review so the plug-in hybrid T8 version has a great foundation for success
- 6Mercedes E 300 eThe plug-in hybrid Mercedes E 300 e emphasises all the great hallmarks of the regular E-Class with little drawbacks.
- 7Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid The latest Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid is a great all-rounder and is hard to fault in any single area.
- 8Kia Niro PHEVThe Niro PHEV isn’t the most interesting car to drive, but it’s easy to live with and there’s decent space on offer.
- 9Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - currently readingThe first plug-in SUV proved the formula worked, and boosted sales for the range
- 10Toyota PriusThe latest Toyota Prius is the best yet, and the same goes for the plug-in hybrid version
- 11Range Rover P400eThe Range Rover P400e turns out to be a successful first attempt at a plug-in hybrid from Land Rover.