Porsche 718 Cayman/ 718 Boxster - best performance cars
Switch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
To call the 718 Cayman the poor man's Porsche is to do the car a great disservice. The Cayman manages to deliver the kind of sure-footed handling fun that makes any driver feel like a natural behind the wheel.
The core of the range has switched to a turbocharged flat-four engine, but while it doesn't sound as thrilling as the old flat-six, it hasn't done anything to spoil the driving experience. The car's mid-engined layout is perfectly balanced, with fluid steering and lots of confidence-inspiring grip.
For those wanting more raw power, there's the 4.0-litre, six-cylinder GTS model with 394bhp. A 0-62mph sprint time of 4.5 seconds and a 182mph top speed, ensure it'll keep most rivals on their toes.
Even better is the fact the Cayman is such a useable car, and there's no doubt that you could use it on a daily basis. And while the initial purchase price will be high, everyday running costs are surprisingly agreeable for one of the best open-topped sports cars on sale. And if you fancy having the wind in your hair, the convertible 718 Boxster is just as much fun.
Top 10 best performance cars 2021
- 1IntroductionWe run through the top ten performance cars on sale in the UK right now
- 21. Porsche 911 Mixing supercar-baiting speed with day-to-day useability, the Porsche 911 is a tour-de-force in the performance car market
- 32. McLaren 570SAll the driving thrills you'd expect - the McLaren 570S is an amazingly capable supercar.
- 43. Aston Martin VantageThe Aston Martin Vantage is a supremely capable sports car - ready and able to take on the Porsche 911.
- 54. Ferrari F8 TributoThe F8 Tributo's huge technical ability makes performance on the limit easier to reach and control.
- 65. Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster - currently readingSwitch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
- 76. Alpine A110The lightweight Alpine A110 delivers a pure driving experience to go along with its quirky retro looks.
- 87. Caterham SevenFancy a classic British sports car experience from a brand new car? Look no further than the Caterham Seven.
- 98. BMW M5 CompetitionThe BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
- 109. Honda Civic Type RWhile the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
- 1110. Ford Fiesta STThe Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches