Porsche 718 Cayman/ 718 Boxster - best performance cars
Switch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
To call the 718 Cayman the poor man's Porsche is to do the car a great disservice. The Cayman manages to deliver the kind of sure-footed handling fun that makes any driver feel like a natural behind the wheel.
The latest model has switched to a turbocharged flat-four engine, but while it doesn't sound as thrilling as the old flat-six, it hasn't done anything to spoil the driving experience. The car's mid-engined layout is perfectly balanced, with fluid steering and lots of confidence-inspiring grip.
Even better is the fact the Cayman is such a useable car, and there's no doubt that you could use it on a daily basis. And while the initial purchase price will be high, everyday running costs are surprisingly agreeable for one of the best open-topped sports cars on sale. And if you fancy having the wind in your hair, the convertible 718 Boxster is just as much fun.
Top 10 best performance cars 2010
- 1IntroductionWe run through the top ten performance cars on sale in the UK right now
- 21. Porsche 911 Mixing supercar-baiting speed with day-to-day useability this new Porsche 911 is a tour de force in the performance car market
- 32. Aston Martin DBS SuperleggeraAston Martin’s flagship amplifies everything that makes the DB11 special
- 43. Mclaren 600LT If you were one of the very few who thought the McLaren 570S wasn’t hardcore enough, meet the McLaren 600LT.
- 54. Ferrari 488 PistaThe combination of road-car and race car in the Pista make for a fabulous, yet focused supercar.
- 65. Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster - currently readingSwitch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
- 76. Caterham SevenFancy a classic British sports car experience from a brand new car? Look no further than the Caterham Seven
- 87. BMW M5 CompetitionThe BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
- 98. McLaren 720SMcLaren 720S supercar builds on the reputation of its 650 and 675 predecessors
- 109. Honda Civic Type RWhile the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
- 1110. Ford Fiesta STThe Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches