Volkswagen Crafter - best large panel vans
The Volkswagen Crafter brings VW Group technology and quality to the panel van sector
The VW Crafter takes the formula of the T6 Transporter and super-sizes it. There's the same level of quality inside, and like the Transporter it uses the same tech you'll find in the VW passenger car range. That means adaptive cruise control and lane assist are on offer, while self-parking including trailer assist is also available.
The Crafter is surprisingly car-like to drive, too. It feels nimble and handles well for such a large van, while still offering the high driving position and clear view of the road ahead that these machines are known for. You can even specify a truck-style sprung seat for greater long-distance comfort.
Like the Sprinter, there are diesel engines offered to make light work of the heaviest payloads, while different van lengths and roof heights are offered. There are Crew Cab pickup and tipper variants, too, while the Crafter-based VW Grand California is the biggest off-the-shelf motorhome you can buy.
Soon you'll also be able to get a zero-emissions VW e-Crafter for doing local deliveries, with a range of 60 miles easily achievable from a full charge.
Best large panel vans 2019
- 1IntroductionWe run down the big vans for sale in the UK to help you choose the right one for your job
- 21. Mercedes SprinterA famous name in the panel van sector, the Mercedes Sprinter majors in heavy-duty toughness and is popular with high mileage operators.
- 32. Volkswagen Crafter - currently readingThe Volkswagen Crafter brings VW Group technology and quality to the panel van sector
- 43. MAN TGEWith the same tech as the VW Crafter, the TGE is an appealing large van
- 54. Ford TransitFamously described by Ford as the ‘backbone of Britain’, that’s not too far from the truth about the Transit
- 65. Renault Master/Nissan NV400A platform sharing partnership means you can choose your badge on this big van with a practical cabin
- 76. Vauxhall MovanoThe Movano offers huge space and the latest touchscreen tech from the Vauxhall car range
- 87. Citroen Relay/Peugeot BoxerNo-nonsense panel vans offer plenty of space and even electric drive
- 98. Fiat DucatoThere's more to the Ducato than just a tech-sharing partnership with Peugeot/Citroen
- 109. Iveco DailyThe Iveco Daily is a great choice for van operators who need a heavy duty vehicle and the support of Iveco’s HGV dealer network
- 1110. LDV V80Revived LDV Maxus offers big-van space with a small-van price tag