Audi RS 6 Avant review - Reliability and safety
The RS 6 has a solid reputation for safety but Audi customer feedback offers some concerns
Although the RS 6 hasn’t been crash tested, Audi achieved a full five-star Euro NCAP rating for the A6 in 2018. Adult occupant safety was given 93 percent, child occupant safety at 85 percent and pedestrian safety was rated at 81 percent.
Safety equipment on the standard RS 6 includes lane departure warning, camera-based road sign recognition, Audi pre-sense front system and cruise control with a speed limiter. The Vorsprung model adds Tour and City Assist packs with additional safety kit such as Adaptive Cruise Assist, camera-based traffic-sign recognition, high-beam assist, pre-sense rear function and cross traffic assist front.
In our Driver Power survey, Audi finished a disappointing 16th out of 30 manufacturers, with 21 percent of owners reporting a fault. Audi finished 18th in the previous two years, so will be hoping for significant improvement moving forward. The Audi dealer network will also be seeking positive developments, too, following a 20th-place ranking in a poll of 31 franchised dealer groups.
Audi offers a three year/60,000 mile warranty on all its cars. It lasts for a minimum of 2 years, with the warranty continuing for a third year or up to 60,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.
The RS 6 Avant has different servicing schedules that are mileage dependent. If you drive less than 10,000 miles with lots of city driving and short journeys, you’ll need annual oil changes and inspections every other year. High-mileage drivers will have variable oil change schedules up to a maximum of 19,000 miles/two years, and they’ll still need inspections every two years.
In this review
- 1Audi RS 6 Avant reviewWith a thumping 592bhp, the iconic Audi RS 6 Avant is a brilliantly desirable, high-performance, practical estate
- 2Engines, performance and driveDespite the RS 6’s mild hybrid-tech, there’s nothing mild about the performance
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costs Although not exactly eco-friendly, the RS 6 includes a mild-hybrid system to improve efficiency
- 4Interior, design and technologyStunning inside and out, the RS 6 delivers the best of Audi’s latest design language and tech
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe performance focus doesn’t detract from a useable, practical interior providing comfort for everyone on board
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingThe RS 6 has a solid reputation for safety but Audi customer feedback offers some concerns