We reveal the best cars in 10 categories - from reliability to performance and running costs - as voted for by you
We don’t only want to find out which is the best car in the UK – we want to find out which car suits your needs best.
For that reason, we asked drivers to rate their car, new and old, out of five in 10 individual categories, from build quality and performance to practicality and even running costs to give us your verdict on what it’s like to buy, run and live with them day in, day out.
This year we added an all-new and increasingly important category: technology. Was your car’s gadget-free dashboard left trailing behind modern equivalents, or was it packed with the latest interactive tools? We found out by asking you to rate its usefulness, ease of use, reliability, innovation and value for money.
Click the links below to find out the winners and losers in each category – whether you're looking for the most comfortable car, the lowest running costs or the best performance.
See the results…
- Best for reliability and build quality
- Best for running costs
- Best for performance
- Best for braking
- Best for ride quality
- Best for handling
- Best for practicality
- Best for comfort
- Best for ease of driving
- Best for technology
How are our results calculated?
Our survey asks drivers to rate their car out of five in 10 key categories. An independent data processing company then crunches the numbers to provide the overall average scores.
Why doesn’t my car feature?
Not all models can be included, due to the sheer number of cars on UK roads. Plus, to ensure our results are reliable, we need a large number of drivers of each vehicle to complete the survey.
See the results for previous years…
- 1Introduction29,000 motorists have had their say, and now we reveal the Driver Power 2012 winners
- 2Best car of 2012The results are in, and we name our Driver Power 2012 champion
- 3Top 100We asked what you liked and disliked about your car – and 29,000 of you responded. Here are the results
- 4Best manufacturersThe UK's favourite manufacturers, as voted for by tens of thousands of owners
- 5Category winners - currently readingWe reveal the best cars in 10 categories - from reliability to performance and running costs - as voted for by you
- 6Class winnersWhich city car is the best? Which SUV should you avoid? Find out in our rundown of the best and worst cars in each class
- 7Best dealersThe best dealers, revealed in our poll of 29,000 Auto Express readers
- 8Best breakdown servicesWhich operator can you rely on in a breakdown? Our results reveal all