Used BMW 2 Series (Mk1, 2014-2021) review - What should you look for?
Build quality is very good, while some younger examples may still have their original warranty
There aren’t many common problems with the BMW 2 Series, so the key thing is to find the trim level that works for you. All models come with a generous level of equipment, but look out for some of the more desirable options and accessories. A petrol version makes more sense than a diesel unless you’re doing lots of motorway miles.
Common used Mk1 BMW 2 Series problems
It’s worth trying to find a car with the optional Harman Kardon hi-fi fitted; it sounds much better than the standard system.
The 2 Series is fitted with run-flat tyres as standard, which means there’s no spare wheel. But the ride isn’t too badly affected.
Squeaky brakes can affect some high-performance models and brake dust can accumulate quickly. Listen out and inspect used cars for this.
Since March 2018, all diesel-engined 2 Series have used AdBlue and, at the same time, all petrol engines got a particulate filter.
There have been 10 recalls, and all cars built up to June 2018 are likely to have been affected by at least one.
Potential issues centred on the driver’s seatbelt, fuel starvation leading to stalling, the rear axle working loose, the power steering and airbags. Later recalls related to possible front suspension failure, ECU software glitches and problems with the EGR valve.
In this review
- 1VerdictA compact rear-wheel drive coupe from BMW has obvious appeal. Does the BMW 2 Series Coupe live up to it?
- 2Engines, performance and driveA well-honed rear drive chassis and powerful engines make the BMW 2 Series fun to drive
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe BMW 2 Series petrol engine line-up strikes the right balance of performance and fuel economy
- 4Interior, design and technology - currently readingBuild quality is very good, while some younger examples may still have their original warranty
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe BMW 2 Series Coupe makes a truly practical coupe, with four usable seats and a decent boot
- 6Reliability and SafetyThe 2 Series has tried and tested powertrains and the brand is performing better in Driver Power best dealerships