BMW 2 Series Coupe (2014-2021) review - Reliability and safety
There’s lots of safety kit as standard or on the options list of the BMW 2 Series Coupe
The BMW 2 Series shares its engines, gearboxes, electronics and technology with the 1 Series hatchback, as well as a number of other models in the BMW and MINI line-ups. Both models have been on sale for a few years now, so there’s no need to have any concerns over new-car niggles.
In our 2020 Driver Power survey, BMW itself came 27th out of 30 manufacturers, while the 2 Series didn’t feature in the 75 cars ranked in the survey. It's a similar story for BMW's dealers, who often find themselves in the lower half of the Driver Power dealer ranking, although that's usually the case with its Audi and Mercedes rivals, too.
Euro NCAP hasn’t crash tested the 2 Series, although you can consider that the five-star score earned by the 1 Series in 2012 applies to the two-door model. Impressive safety features include dynamic brake lights, which change their intensity depending on how hard you’re braking, while head, side and knee airbags and an alarm are standard. Other safety options include city-friendly autobrake and lane departure warning, and every 2 Series comes with run-flat tyres.
As standard BMW offers a three-year/unlimited mileage warranty with the 2 Series. That beats Audi's three-year/60,000-mile guarantee, and will better suit high-mileage drivers.
Service intervals are variable for the 2 Series range, but BMW offers a pay-monthly scheme that allows you to spread the cost of the first two services over a three-year period. £20 per month also buys you fluid top ups, an MOT and sat-nav map updates.
Owners can keep tabs on how components like the brake pads or various filters are ageing by checking the iDrive system on board the car, and the car's electronics will let you know when maintenance is needed.
In this review
- 1BMW 2 Series Coupe (2014-2021) reviewA compact rear-wheel drive coupe from BMW has obvious appeal. Does the BMW 2 Series Coupe live up to it?
- 2Engines, performance and driveA well-honed rear drive chassis and powerful engines make the BMW 2 Series Coupe fun to drive
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe BMW 2 Series Coupe’s petrol engine line-up strikes the right balance of performance and fuel economy
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe BMW 2 Series Coupe boasts improved looks compared to the old 1 Series Coupe, and an interior to match
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe BMW 2 Series Coupe makes a truly practical coupe, with four usable seats and a decent boot
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingThere’s lots of safety kit as standard or on the options list of the BMW 2 Series Coupe