Used BMW 2 Series (Mk1, 2014-2021) review - What do owners think?
The 2 Series has tried and tested powertrains and the brand is performing better in Driver Power best dealerships
The BMW 2 Series shares its engines, gearboxes, electronics and technology with the 1 Series hatchback, as well as a number of other models in the BMW and MINI line-ups. Both models have been on sale for a few years now, so there’s no need to have any concerns over new-car niggles.
Back in 2018, the 2 Series was placed 50th in our Driver Power new car survey, which is okay, but it was below the Audi A3 and BMW 3 Series. Its only top-20 scores were for infotainment, the engine and transmission; surprisingly the ride and handling weren’t highly rated, while build quality and reliability were even worse. Running costs got a thumbs up, but everything else was mid-table.
In our 2020 Driver Power survey, BMW came 27th out of 30 manufacturers, while the 2 Series didn’t feature in the 75 cars ranked in the survey. It's a similar story for BMW's dealers, who often find themselves in the lower half of the Driver Power dealer ranking, although that's usually the case with its Audi and Mercedes rivals, too.
A year later, BMW had improved to 21st out of 29 manufacturers, but still behind the likes of Suzuki, Renault and Nissan.
In this review
- 1VerdictA compact rear-wheel drive coupe from BMW has obvious appeal. Does the BMW 2 Series Coupe live up to it?
- 2Engines, performance and driveA well-honed rear drive chassis and powerful engines make the BMW 2 Series fun to drive
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe BMW 2 Series petrol engine line-up strikes the right balance of performance and fuel economy
- 4Interior, design and technologyBuild quality is very good, while some younger examples may still have their original warranty
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe BMW 2 Series Coupe makes a truly practical coupe, with four usable seats and a decent boot
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingThe 2 Series has tried and tested powertrains and the brand is performing better in Driver Power best dealerships