Best cars for outdoor pursuits
Heading off-road for your summer holiday? Then you're going to need one of these rugged cars ready for outdoor pursuits
If you’re an adventurous type that likes your holiday to involve kayaking, cycling and skiing then you're going to need a car to match. Off-road ability, combined with space, ruggedness and practicality are all necessary qualities required in a car for outdoor pursuits. Below we've picked out the best cars for such a holiday.
The Forester is ideal for adventurous holidaymakers. There are options for bike, kayak and ski carriers (up to six pairs), so you’re well set for both summer and winter getaways, and the 505-litre boot is big enough to cater for most adventure holidays. Subarus have a great reputation for ruggedness, with four-wheel drive as standard, class-leading off-road ability and a raised ride height, to help you get to the most remote locations.
If you’re going to put your car through trial by muddy gear, consider going cheap and simple. The Dacia Duster comes with roof bars as standard and has a 4x4 option.
Click on the links to the left or below for our best holiday cars in each category...
- 1IntroductionLooking for the perfect summer holiday car? Our handy guide rounds up the best
- 2Best cars for road tripsWhat are the best cars for road trips? We pick out three of the best for long drives
- 3Best cars for family holidaysSpace, ease of use and a good infotainment system are all vital when looking for the perfect car for a family holiday
- 4Best cars for city breaksWe round-up the best cars available for the perfect city break
- 5Best cars for infotainment Our best cars for infotainment feature Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, MirrorLink and much, much more
- 6Best cars for luggage space and petsCars with lots of space can come in all shapes and sizes, from SUVs and MPVs to estates and van-based people carriers
- 7Best cars for outdoor pursuits - currently readingHeading off-road for your summer holiday? Then you're going to need one of these rugged cars ready for outdoor pursuits
- 8Best cars for low fuel billsIf you're taking your car on holiday the best way to save money is to pick a car with low fuel bills
- 9Best cars for towing a caravanCaravanning has been popular in Britain for decades. These are the best cars if you are planning on taking your home with you this summer