Best cars for low fuel bills
If you're taking your car on holiday the best way to save money is to pick a car with low fuel bills
Taking a car on holiday can seem like the most cost-effective way of getting to your destination, but it can quickly become expensive if you spend a considerable amount of time behind the wheel. If you are planning a long drive the best way to reduce your bills is to look for a car that's economical, and below is our list of the best cars for low fuel bills.
Long drives can mean fuel bills that start to rival flight tickets, so the more economical the car, the better. The 1.6 BlueHDi diesel in Peugeot’s 208 claims a staggering 94.2mpg, the highest official figure for any non-hybrid car on sale. Real-world mpg will be lower, but you’ll struggle to find a car that will eke more miles from a gallon of fuel. The 208 has the added benefit of being a practical supermini that drives well.
A complete overhaul has made the Nissan Micra more stylish and better to drive, and the latest generation with the 1.5 dCi engine claims 88.3mpg economy.
Click on the links to the left or below for our best holiday cars in each category...
- 1IntroductionLooking for the perfect summer holiday car? Our handy guide rounds up the best
- 2Best cars for road tripsWhat are the best cars for road trips? We pick out three of the best for long drives
- 3Best cars for family holidaysSpace, ease of use and a good infotainment system are all vital when looking for the perfect car for a family holiday
- 4Best cars for city breaksWe round-up the best cars available for the perfect city break
- 5Best cars for infotainment Our best cars for infotainment feature Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, MirrorLink and much, much more
- 6Best cars for luggage space and petsCars with lots of space can come in all shapes and sizes, from SUVs and MPVs to estates and van-based people carriers
- 7Best cars for outdoor pursuitsHeading off-road for your summer holiday? Then you're going to need one of these rugged cars ready for outdoor pursuits
- 8Best cars for low fuel bills - currently readingIf you're taking your car on holiday the best way to save money is to pick a car with low fuel bills
- 9Best cars for towing a caravanCaravanning has been popular in Britain for decades. These are the best cars if you are planning on taking your home with you this summer